Are CB radios still worth it?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by PE_T, Sep 15, 2019.

1. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    A CB radio is in the same category as horse power and condoms. It’s better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I use it several times a week to load most weeks.

4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    But, do those apps tell you your dragging a chain? Have a blown inside tire? Or numerous other things a following or passing driver can see and warn you about?
    Or better yet, let you know there is an accident or something blocking the road just over that hill?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    Lepton1, PE_T, Long FLD and 2 others Thank this.
  5. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

I tried Cricket Wireless because it is owned by AT&T. The problem I noticed right away is that many places only had reception for calling 911 whereas with AT&T you were able to call anyone. This was back in 2015, though. I’m sure a lot has changed since then.

I think anyone who hasn’t used AT&T or Verizon doesn’t really know what they’re missing. I started with AT&T back in 2013, so when I changed to another phone company I was able to tell the difference right away, particularly with data reception and speed. Eventually I switched to Verizon, and while it is better overall than AT&T, it’s not by much.

What you can expect with Verizon or AT&T is data coverage on over 95% (more like 98%) on your 10-hr/34-hr breaks. I’m talking about real internet. You can watch Netflix or YouTube without any issues, and it does not matter where you are. You can be in the middle of nowhere and still have data. I don’t know how they do it, but it just works. I pay about $105 per month with a fully paid phone and on Verizon’s highest unlimited data plan.

6. mustang190

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    No different than most freight haulers can’t make out chicken haulers or tanker yanker lingo.

exhausted379 and PE_T Thank this.
  7. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Google maps also provides this information, and Waze does an even better job, but I find Waze usability annoying at times.

8. mustang190

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    $105 a month????
    I use Straight Talk for $45 a month.
    Get the same stuff. It’s nothing but Verizon.

PE_T Thanks this.
  9. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Where I drive if a truck is stopped we stop unless they tell us not to on the radio, or they step out and give us the thumbs up sign.
    We slow down to 25 or so when we meet one to keep from busting out windshields and headlights too.
    On my last trip I had 60,000 payload on a chassis, and was pulling a long grade 8% or better, when I came up on a tourist parked in the road, it turned it's flashers on, and then turned them off and flashed their headlights, I stopped, at which point they took off. They had just stopped so that I would not rock them, never mind I was already in low range, at about 16 mph.
    Why do they call it tourist season if you can't hunt them and have them mounted for the trophy room. lol

PE_T and Swine hauler Thank this.
  10. Swine hauler

Swine hauler Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2019
    How about talking to the salt shakers, asking for permission to pass ( polite way of saying these here pigs are coming thru). And we both inch over a little. Or asking them about road conditions up on the mountain. Indispensable information I'd be scared $###less to be without.

PE_T and starmac Thank this.
  11. mustang190

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I thought you were not supposed to be playing with your phone while driving???
    Asking for a friend.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.