Are exempt trucks getting ELDs?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by S M D, Apr 18, 2018.

1. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    before I throw 70grand at a 2000 model exmpt truck. Those of you who do have pre eld trucks have you heard anything about them coming up with a software that will make exempt trucks fitted for eld?

This is is just what I heard from word of mouth. That keep truckin is working on a software and as well as few other companies to make exempt trucks have to use eld with a program.
    I mean I don’t know how true that is.
    But, I’m thinking. Instead of buying a pre eld truck if it’s a better idea to use my money wisely and just buy another truck a lot newer.
    Everybody is against us. So who knows.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    As it stands today this is the FMCSA Rule on Exemptions.

If I wanted to, had the money and the drive to do so, I will go buy a bunch of rebuilt older iron and run em.

Who is exempt from the ELD rule?

HOWEVER.

The answer you seek requires a different question.

"Will the ELD Exemption be ANNULED (Or discarded, repealed, erased, stopped etc) someday?"

Well Google does not adequately answer that question just yet.

The closest are these two. One thinks about what FMCSA has had to do to wriggle with the little stuff the lawmakers did not think about when creating the ELD stuff.

The second deals with Cell Phone based ELD's which are a problem for some.

FMCSA Continues to Roll Out ELD Exemptions | Encompass Risk

https://eldmandatefacts.com/fmcsa-cellular-elds/

Im pretty certain the direction our Government is going, eventually the older pre 2000 trucks will be eliminated from our highways. Not allowed to be registered and used for Commerce in trucking as they were designed to be. That is my thought.

But to hunt down actual ongoing legislative processes aimed at repealing ELD Exemptions with the goal of completely and utterly banning the pre 2000 exempt stuff from the industry nationwide forever??? That's a can of worms.

Right now I don't have a answer to that particular problem. But if the process has started somewhere at any level in our Government with that goal in mind, Im pretty certain it will come out once the process started or has started when the right people in committee or other Lawmakers get to work on that type of action.

4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Breaking this answer into two parts.

4 states have asked to find ways to eliminate the ELD.

Action has started to enforce ELD to live stock haulers, but since the Federal Register (THE BOOK for everything in this Country) does not yet have it printed it technically does not exist yet... remember if something is not printed in the Federal Register today, IT DOES NOT OFFICIALLY EXIST.

And a third link questions the entire Law comparing to another really big structural law that has been around a while.

In the end Im forced to say that as of today you can buy old iron and run em exempt. But you must understand the risk of seeing that equiptment banned at some point in the future. Hopefully you would have by then stacked enough millions to replace the entire fleet of non compliant old iron with newer compliant equipment.

My own state of Arkansas does not do emissions, does not do inspections and have the barest of fees related to putting tags on a car or small truck. Insurance is very simple and cheap. (For those who have kept clean)

However. I hear in the state house that some legislators want to begin acting to make laws to bring Arkansas up to code with the other states requiring inspections, emissions and so on. AND a related movement to finally make Arkansas a Speed Camera and Red Light Camera enforcement state. (As of today those two types of enforcement IS NOT LEGAL here in Arkansas, the cameras DO exist at lights, but for websites like IDrive.com so we can see in near real time how traffic is doing around the state in bad weather or something else.

Because of the tiny birdies writing very small articles in really TINY newspapers with these thoughts of introducing inspection and emissions etc into State Law for vehicles like mine. (I run a 96 Tahoe...) I will have to consider the problem of either putting Historic tags on that thing and bypass the new laws when they go into effect completely OR.. if they disallow Historic Tags I will have to actually go out and buy a replacement newer vehicle that will pass emissions and inspection.

I came from a inspection and emissions state of Maryland and it's a real process to go through. I remember one time I took a older 71 ford through the emissions bay and it actually was very very close to the limits that the state wanted at that time. But the car was much older and was allowed to have regular tags put on after a extensive and expensive inspections process made sure that everything on it is in good working order. (THAT was expensive)

Or buy a nice ranch somewhere and enjoy life a while while you still have it.

States eye bills to suspend ELD enforcement, ask Congress for mandate repeal

FMCSA formally issues waiver to delay ELD compliance for ag, livestock haulers

U.S. Rep. Brian Babin: ELD law is the ‘Dodd-Frank law of the trucking industry’

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    Make sure your engine is a 1999 or older for the exemption. Also, an official ELD works off the data port for the engine. If it doesn't have one, the odds of it becoming a law to make it happen is like forcing a square peg into a round hole. I just do not see it happening.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. Tall Mike

Tall Mike Road Train Member

Aug 20, 2014
    New York
    Not yet our whole fleet is exempt.
    I was asked to provide proof of exemption in a Missouri scale two weeks ago.
    He looked at the engine data sheet on my tablet and said ok. He never checked the engine data sheet with the numbers on the engine block.

x1Heavy and DSK333 Thank this.
  7. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    I've heard the rumors. Sent a email to fmsca to see what they say,got a automated response saying they would research and get back to me,that was a couple months ago. Still waiting

8. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    A mechanical engine is incapable of supplying the required information to an ELD. If they really want to know a truck's location so bad they'll have to use coordinates by possible means of GPS.

x1Heavy and Oxbow Thank this.
  9. Sublime

Sublime Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Twin Cities, MN
    There is no rules-compliant ELD solution that will ever work with my mechanical 1989 T600. Some of the info being required cannot be gotten without an ECM. Considering my truck has 370k on it, unless it gets wrecked it's going to be in-service for quite awhile longer.

Trucker61016 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  10. 112racing

112racing Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    pocono's, pa
    I know a guy who has 96 exempt truck and the cop wrote him up anyway
    told him to fight it in court.
    I have a friend selling a 99 379 he put up for sale last Friday, and he was aking $ 35,000.
    3 guys are in a bidding war as of this morning they were up to $42,000

I'm sure in the not too distant future they will figure out how to make them work on exempt trucks.

1dan and Trucker61016 Thank this.
  11. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010

It's as simple as requiring a GPS be installed and running the ELD off of the GPS....

1dan and tucker Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.