are Fitzgerald glider ELD EXEMPT ?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Gen Z, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Out of the 6 we experimented with 1 has been a complete disaster.. it literally lives in the shop. The guy who had this truck before me wasn't big on truck maintenance. Im pretty sure it wasnt abused though.. the other 4 seem to be holding up just fine..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    I dont think the owner is going to have anyone affiliated with fitz work on the trucks.. you should see their authorized repair shop in orlando. I've been there multiple times. Never had any work done though. Never plan on it
    . He said he wants a new motor. Im guessing he's going through detroit in orlando

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  4. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    It is under fitz warranty. Fits needs to pay or fix engine.

5. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    The Fitz policy is to throw more Chinesium parts at the problem. Also, after the in frame, with genuine Detroit OEM parts, as that is part of the issue, the ECM needs the proper Detroit Factory programing installed. The kid doing the programing at Fitz should not be allowed near these motors. That I have on very good authority.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  6. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Its great on fuel.. the turbo takes a year to spool up. Its a turd on the smallest of hills . Rpm drops beneath 1400 it seems to be running on motor only.. other than that i love the truck

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  7. Oldironfan

Oldironfan Road Train Member

May 22, 2017
    I've heard something about them using cams for natural gas set up.
    But I do know they have a bad rap for using wrong cam bearings.

8. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    That could explain the slow start.. this truck is gutless below 1300 rpm

9. scoutman57

scoutman57 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2020
    Anyone have issued finding out the manufacture date of their Fitzgerald Detroit 60? I have the serial number and Fitzgerald can't give me a manufacture date. I also called several Freightliner and Detroit dealers and none of them can give me the manufacture date. All we have found is the date for the serial number directly before and directly after mine. before serial 1996 (Nov 24 98) my serial 1997 after 1998 (Dec 98). I am trying to get manufacture date so I can build documentation for the 49 CFR Part 379 Appendix-A "While the driver is not required to possess documentation that confirms the vehicle engine model year, 49 CFR Part 379 Appendix-A requires motor carriers to maintain all documentation on motor and engine changes at the principle place of business. If a determination cannot be made at the roadside, safety official should refer the case for further investigation.”

Has anyone had issues similar to this and how did you go about running ELD exemption. I keep being told by a couple of people it's no big deal. While others are saying I need to have this documentation or I am going to get some big fines.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Fitzgerald is the only one that can answer as it's whatever year they rebuilt the block to. The casting date of the block doesn't matter, it's the "engine model year" that it's built to. Usually that means emission standard, but not always. In either case they have the paperwork and you should too for the very regulation the guidance pointed to. I.E. you must keep that documentation along with all your other business related documentation.

As for if the truck is legally ELD exempt, to be safe it's better to have the documentation as an LEO can place you OOS if you can't prove you are ELD exempt. How often does that happen? Likely very unlikely, but it is something to keep in mind.

11. scoutman57

scoutman57 Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2020
    I called them early today and they told me they could not give me any paperwork as to the year. But I did just get a freightliner tag off the engine that was all engraved with information. It has the serial and RO number. the RO# was 16416 (not sure what that means) the date said 9/21/11. So with lack of proper paper work that is the date I have to go off of unless someone has more information regarding the RO# and what that means. I do know that i have no EGR on the motor.

So let's assume that my motor is NOT ELD exempt. The question is will the 2012 and this motor work with the new ELD mandate since I just got the truck and not grandfathered for the AOBRD exemption, which looks to have fully expired anyways. I had someone tell me that the truck won't have enough date to be compliant with the ELD device.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.