Are germs and diseases running rampant at truckstops ??

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by BlueThunderr, May 2, 2019.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Fellas dont mess with subway, that #### will poisen u more than once. Ask me how i know

Canadianhauler21 and JadeLove Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I am no fan of any fast food, especially subway, but when I was running Los Anchorage every day, I ate subway daily and never had any trouble. A guy can get food poisining anywhere. The last time I got it was in ND at an Aand W, before that was a hot dog in Mass.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We had a guy in Rockport during his orientation taking breakfast there. It's A DESPERATELY TINY town literally one stop light and diner that mattered at the company yard.

He got food poisoning, started making spots like a cartoon polka dot fantastical drawing of a deranged cartoonist.

He got shipped to hospital pronto.

I eyed my bacon and eggs, toast and butter and coffee. Then evaluated the grill and cook carefully top to bottom. "Yessuh, it's good eatings, I'll take your bill, here have some of this too."

Because of his food poisoning, he was not allowed to complete orientation. Rumor has it he was mostly in Florida in his life. whatever that means. He was a human like the rest of us. No telling what's goes on in that realm of medical stuff.

5. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    The way I figure it, truckers eat enough junk, arsenic wouldn't hurt them much. lol

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  6. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I rate the gallons of coffee. No make that Tanker trucks of coffee. It's amazing we are allowed to consume that much and stay alive. I don't know anything about coffee itself but it seemed to impose a defense in the stomach against bigger problems when taken at tolerable levels.

I was given my first caffeinated coffee one winter at 7. My first cigeratte three months after and my first Vodka and 7p by mistake the following year. going on 30. Coffee was a joy. But a regret to the parent who know now to get the ball and chain to get the kid locked down for the night.

7. Frank Burns

Frank Burns Light Load Member

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Truck stops have buffets?

Or are you talking about the hotdog and taquito rollers with the relish, chopped onion and warm plastic cheese dispenser stations?

8. Farmerbob1

Farmerbob1 Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2017
    Some things I do to stay healthy.

1. I don't buy old, discounted food.
    2. I wipe the toilet seat carefully, and will not use one that is/was foul.
    3. I will not shower if I smell/see mold/mildew or other foulness in the stall.
    4. I never, ever get out of the truck without real shoes or boots. Flipflops are idiotic and leave you too open to injury by trash, insects, or other critters.
    5. I always order fast food slightly different from the menu recipe, so it will be made for me.
    6. I never put goopy crap on my ordered food. Mayo, ketchup, special sauces, etc., can sit around in a hot spot on the counter of a restaurant for hours and get nasty.

x1Heavy and Frank Burns Thank this.
  9. Frank Burns

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    That's why I always go with mustard. Nothing mayo based. Most of those "special sauces" are mayo based.

x1Heavy and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  10. Frank Burns

Jun 2, 2019
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I hope I get a trainer with your ethics when I do my miserable noob road time. I'm terrified at having to live with another human in a small ### sleeper for a month or more.

Farmerbob1 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Now that is where I come in.

Pine sol with 10% bleach, garden spray dispenser. Two rolls of shop towels. Several garbage bags.

Start inside that truck at your inside door, frame, interior handles, upholsery, plastic etc. all the way around the inside jamb of that door. When the door is pristine Apply a strip of rolled butcher paper to it.

Move to your dashboard drivers side under windshield glass. Start end of pillar to center post and go all the way down to the clutch pedals and particularly beyond them into the foot wells.

Work your way across to the passenger side.

Assuming your rubber cab floor is clean and swept, start disinfecting same working back to the metal strip dividing sleeper and cab.

Work on your seats, the handles, the supports and everything you can reach from that seat. Go to the top of the drivers cab work across to above the passenger.

Then deal with the passenger door open top to bottom around the jamb and all inside surfaces.

Get windex and clean inside windshield and window glass. Consider the cab complete. Move against the sleeper in a systmenatic manner, one cabinet at a time. Get into the deep corners.

You should develop about two trash bags of used dirty grimy and infectious shop towels.
    Dispose of same. Enjoy your clean truck with another clean human. Enforce same. When rolling every object down to your pencil should be in place and not going to fly across the cab when you hit a bad bridge.

If your shop towels reveal mold or green mossy or other seriously icky looking surfaces, Consider both humans as in need of a very strong shower. (Seperately) and launder all clothing, remove spoiled food etc.

Farmerbob1 and Frank Burns Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.