Are there any good OTR companies out there? "Really"

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by billsgirl, Dec 18, 2008.

1. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    Without getting into the need and reasoning of your bills, are you going to inform us on your career move?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. billsgirl

billsgirl Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Cheektowaga, NY
    Bill has an interview tomorrow for a local driver job and Im back at the school as a teacher aide for disabled kids on a subsititue basis, hoping for an opening of course that's full time and also applying for just about anything else to make ends meet in the meantime. Once we have some money coming in it will be easier to be a little selective about a different job but we gotta do something in the meantime. He got called today to drive garbage truck in Altoona PA but it's 150 miles away too far to commute and we can't afford to pick up and move there.

4. jash369

jash369 Medium Load Member

Dec 4, 2007
    roslyn,pa
    I looked over the post that you started this thread to respond. Personally, I wish you and yours best wishes. It is appearant that either your needs or your expectations were not met with this career change/attempt.
    I agree with the fact that alot of recruiters do exaggorate if not just out right lie about things however, It each individual's own responsibility to research and be informed when making life changing decissions.

Even with the examples you used in your original post their are alot of people that $1249 per week is more than enough or well enough for an income. Even modestly speaking of $600-700-800 per week may be enough and under the right circumstances can be enough.

I do not know your personal circumstances to comment further, but we have the choices and oppurtunities to make informed rational decissions in our lives and not have buyers remorse afterwards. I am sorry things did not work out for you in the industry for whatever those reasons were.

I wish you and yours the best................:biggrin_25519:

billsgirl Thanks this.
  5. Biggja22

Biggja22 Bobtail Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Garden City, ID
    I hope the local job works out for you guys. Pay in all sectors is kinda hard to come by lately. When I started my degrees in IT over 4 years ago the amount of good paying jobs, many being entry level was enormous. Now 4 and a half years later I have my associates and bachelors for IT computer networking and security, in debt about $50k, and can't get a better job to save my life. I know many IT veterans that were making 50K to 70k a year that have had to lower themselves into all those 35k to 40k a year jobs due to the economy so the entry level jobs are now almost nonexistent. So I'm stuck in my less than entry level job making just over $15 and hour. That would be a whopping $500 a week take home. With the numbers Jash369 put up, even the 600 to 700 or 800 a week would be an improvement. Especially considering my rent alone here on the Cali coast is 1300 out of my 2000 a month pay. I agree that the trucking industry has more than it's fare share of problems but right now so does the rest of the country. All the entry level drivers out there making any miles at all are making more money than many people with huge investments in their education. I'm not saying drivers aren't getting bent over out there but even with that said it's still looking somewhat better than what I'm looking at now.

billsgirl Thanks this.
  6. billsgirl

billsgirl Light Load Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Cheektowaga, NY
    Thank you! We appreciate that. Bill had an interview w/ Raymour and Flanagan yesterday and Saturday he will be riding along w/ the drivers to see how they do things. We are hopeful that 2009 will bring a little more financial stability. We don't expect to or WANT to get rich, just be able to have our own life and take care of our own needs, maybe even rent a DVD once in a while or order Chinese, nothing fancy!!! The money sounds decent, at least consistent. He actually also is waiting to hear from an OTR moving company, has been in contact w/ them since November, has taken the drug test, had his DAC run, all that stuff...but they are dragging their feet. We'll see:biggrin_25526:

7. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Moving furniture day in and day out is hard work, and hard on your back in the long term.

Mark

8. davan2004

davan2004 Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Warren, MI
    I feel your pain. your story is almost exactly as mine. i was in IT Too!

9. davan2004

davan2004 Light Load Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Warren, MI
    Is your company hiring in Michigan, for a driver with less than 1yr exp?

10. CHICKENMAN

CHICKENMAN Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Winston Salem NC
    i also work for a small company, we only have 9 trucks. I have been here going on 12 years. The reason i lke it here is cause i get home alot. But the downfall is i still get 32 cent per mile and 13$ per hr local pay. THey also are almost dead broke. Every week thier haveing trouble making payroll.
    I have 32 years exp and am looking for a otr company where me and my girlfreind can live in the reuck and try to make some $$$.
    I would like a company with volvo 780's for trucks Cause they got a HECK alot of room.
    Some one please send HELP.

Signed Desperate

11. Markk9

Markk9 "On your mark"

Nov 26, 2006
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Sorry, they are a small 10 truck outfit that is only in Lehigh Valley area of PA. It's a home every night type job.

Mark

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.