Are these insurance quotes reasonable???

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by 24kHotshot, Jul 24, 2019.

1. The Eagle

The Eagle Bobtail Member

Aug 3, 2019
    I am a newbie, had the same problems running around to get a good quote, at one 23k, 19k and 26k but i ended up at 14k through a broker from progressive...Crocky is correct the moment you put car hauling those numbers go crazy especially here FL . As a smalll start up its rough with these insurance companies.

2. 24kHotshot

24kHotshot Heavy Load Member

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Final quote and sadly I had to purchase the policy was 37,500 in payments. Bought it cause I have to start working asap but weighing my options. Might sell my trailer and get a flatbed or try to move the business to a different state and get a lower priced policy. What progressive is doing to me is simply rape :(

3. Bill O’lading

Bill O’lading Light Load Member

Aug 11, 2019
    that is a crazy rate. I have a 2019 pete Cottrell cx9 and pay 17k for the year for liability and 3k for 350 in cargo. with the expense of fuel and truck payments on top of insurance it is tough. good luck brother you gonna need it. the craziest part is that the agent gets a 15-22% commission on the policy just for forwarding an application to underwriting

4. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    Are you a new authority and a new cdl holder and located in Florida?
    Since the quote Progressive gave me an $1100 discount for the ELD.
    I'm already looking for new quotes for NC. Got an address there now and will move the whole company there if the difference is big enough.

My only luck is that I don't have any rent/mortgage, kids or any other large expenses. My trailer is bought and the truck is 50% paid for. If I wanted I could pay off my truck right now, but wanted to finance part of it just to build up some credit for the company.

5. Bill O’lading

Aug 11, 2019
    Been in business since 2013. Started out with a 1994 f350 and a two car trailer. Paid under 6k for the rig. My insurance the first year was with progressive and was almost 9k for the year. One year later I bought a new ram 3500 and a 3/4 Kaufman wedge. My insurance didn’t go up much. After the second year in the ram my insurance went down to 6500 paid In full price. That is where I should have stayed as far as growing my business was concerned. If I could go back that is where I would have stayed in this industry. So after the ram I went a got a used H&A truck a sterling with a boydstun screw. My insurance went to 16k for the year. That includes all the necessities to haul new cars( constructive total loss/diminished value...)350 in cargo. Now I have a bad ### new Pete and Cottrell and have so much overhead it is ridiculous!!! When I was in the ram I could do three runs a wk 700 miles round trip each and be done for the week. Now I work almost every day to pay a 4K a month truck payment and 2k in insurance. I got my cdl in 2014 once I got the ram and went over 26000 pounds

Lite bug and 24kHotshot Thank this.
  6. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    I have a $600 a month payment on the truck but about $3,000 a month insurance payment, my only other expense is a phone bill. I should be able to survive for a while but I got to find a way to get cheaper insurance as soon as possible. I can take a very low salary for the year just to build my company up and repay myself for my investment.
    I want to put a driver on my Ram next year (maybe sooner) and get a MDT with a 5 car trailer afterwards if all goes well. I'm starting to apply for new quotes for the NC address from tomorrow. Where are you located for those low insurance prices? I heard insurance prices went up this year all over the country.

7. Bill O’lading

Aug 11, 2019
  8. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    What is MTD?

9. crocky

crocky Road Train Member

Jun 28, 2017
    I wanted to update my insurance quote from Progressive...

I posted before that I was quoted 12k cash & 14k payment if I stuck to general freight. Well I wasn't able to move on that rate because getting my truck together and sorted out took longer than I planned.. I called today to get a updated rate but turns out the 1st agent did not have me set up as a "combination" truck & trailer but rather as a "flatbed truck".

Because of this, the actual rate should have been in the $16k range. About 2k more but still acceptable considering what I was quoted before but as I said "no cars" just general freight.. No cars hurts being I'm in FL..

Anyway I called today to get a updated quote.. Apparently, FL just increased their rates so my quote is now $17k if financed.. So roughly $3k more than my original quote, but that was no good anyway it seems because was for the wrong type of truck... I didn't bother asking cost for cash because that's more than I can pay in full with out cutting myself short elsewhere. (I still need to buy my trailer, chains, straps, tarps ect..)

Now 1 bit of silver lining..I had the new agent give me a quote for general freight + cars... They quoted me right at $20k with cars added to my policy for 1st year MC in FL.. This is also "unlimited range" meaning I don't need to stay with-in 500 miles or anything like that.

This is for a F350 and a 35 to 40ft trailer and doesn't matter if it's a flatbed or a car trailer..being I'm in FL and cars are a pretty decent part of the freight here I will be adding the car option as the down payment and the monthly cost is really not much different..

TBH, even if I were still at the $14 rate it would be worth it to me to add cars at that price anyway because I can do a lot of local work where I'm at running cars vs being OTR all the time , so I'm ok with that rate as a 1st year MC. Yea I'd like it cheaper, but it is what it is..

Now one other thing, is my LLC is Missouri based, I think I will call back and get the same quote but use MO as the address and see if there is a significant difference in cost that would be worth while basing my MC there.

10. 24kHotshot

Feb 19, 2019
    New York
    MDT is medium duty truck like a toter/sportchassis

Lite bug Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.