areo cab sleeper removal and replacement

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by RHay, Jun 2, 2013.

1. RHay

RHay Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I have a 97 aero cab that I need to switch out the sleeper on because it was jacked knifed. KW is quoting close to $4000 dollar and thats just swapping them out. No painting to match. 3
    I talked to the body shop manager at KW and he told me how to go about doing it. Said the hardest part is cutting the old seal loose. Told me it a ####ing similar to the stuff used around windshields. I always thought it was just that rubber seal you see from outside but he says that is just cosmetic. If anyone has attempted this please tell me about your experiencs. I debating wether to try it myself or not.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Crassius

Crassius Light Load Member

May 15, 2013
    $4000 ??? :biggrin_25510: They want 40 shop hours at $100 an hour to do this? Its going to take two techs two and a half days to do?

Talk about getting raped....

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
  4. FLATBED

FLATBED Road Train Member

Lot of work involved , not just pulling out the sealant , disconnect all the electrical , A/C lines ( pull the charge ), drain & disconnect the heater lines , disconnect and dismount the sleeper. Then mount the replacement sleeper, reconnect all monts , recaulk , reconnect the electrical ( test everything ) , reconnect the the A/C lines put into vacumn , then recharge and leak test , reconnect the heater lines top up and test for leaks.

5. BullDoggin

BullDoggin Light Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm not sure I'd try to do that job myself for $4k... I think I'd have them do it.

6. RAGE 18

RAGE 18 Road Train Member

Jan 31, 2011
    GOLD£N☆STAT£
    If you do it yourself you will save money but what of it starts leaking or have ac or electrical issues? If you let them do it their work is guaranteed so any issues will be taken care of.

7. RHay

RHay Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    The only reason I was considering having the shop do it was in case of it leaking. I'm doing all the wiring and heating and cooling removal and replacement my self. All the trim would also be pulled so they can get right to the mounting bolts. The replacement sleeper is off a different year truck and I will be moving the harness from my current sleeper over to the replacement. To me $4000 seems quite high for what they would be doing. Looking at a drawing I got from KW on this truck I count 16 bolts they would be removing and that includes taking off the airbags and leveling valve. I'm not sure what the chaulking, the seal and the cosmetic outer rubber cost but I doubt more than a couple hundred at most. I talked to a guy over the weekend that quoted me $700-$1000 tops. They run a truck rebuilding shop over in western Washington. He said to stop in next time I'm in the area and he'd show me pics of others he's done. Told me two days max depending on how many guys he has available to put on it, possibly in and out same day.

8. FLATBED

Ok well thats a different story than your first , now with you doing the majority of the prep work and reinstall and the dealer doing just the bare sleeper swap is not worth $4,000.00.

9. RHay

RHay Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    Flatbed the $4000 quote from the KW dealer is with me doing all the prep and finish work. I called to the dealership this morning and talked to the body shop manager to make sure we were on the same page as to who was doing what and the quote is still the same. Told him about the other shop and there quote and he knew all about them and said some of the dealers closer to him farm out a lot of body work to him. I'm definetly going to stop in and check some of his work out. The reason I asked about me doing all the prep work in the first place is this truck is a mid roof sleeper that we have installed the studio couch in because we use it for hauling our old tractors and equipment to shows. With a couple extra people in the truck it make it more comfortable having the couch instead of the bed. Those couches sure are uncomfortable for sleeping though. I keep a 6" memory foam over it though when using it folded out as a bed and it makes decent to sleep on. We've actually taken the couch out of two studio sleepers now and installed the regular bed because drivers found the couches uncomfortable. This also opens up the side boxes quite a bit cause you no longer have the couch dropping into them.

10. FLATBED

Yes the couch is very comfy , had it in a few of studio cab sleepers I had

11. RHay

RHay Light Load Member

Sep 11, 2012
    I'm not a big fan of the couch or the studio sleepers myself. I like the look of a mid roof better and I don't carry that much stuff with me inside the truck. I put the couch in for when the family goes to the truck and antique steam shows its more comfortable for the wife and in-laws then everybody sitting on the bed. personally I'd like to have my 72" mid-roof with a 36" bunk in it. Put a small instant water heater and a small sink for washing hands and brushing my teeth and leave the rest open. But I usually beat to my own drum instead following the trends

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.