Arriving Early

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by madmoneymike5, Mar 12, 2012.

1. madmoneymike5

madmoneymike5 Medium Load Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    ...the flowchart wasn't meant to deal with every decision a driver has to make. It is a planning aid for NEW drivers, therefore, it assumes no en route issues. I believe that if after a couple weeks of planning trips that if you can't plan a trip without referring to my flowchart, being a professional driver isn't going to go well for you.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gizmo_Man

Gizmo_Man Road Train Member

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    Doing it "MY WAY" or the same way OTHER DRIVERS DO, we ARE PLANNING efficiently. If the customer takes us a day earlier, we call dispatch and they get us a load, maybe even better than what they had originally planned for us.

Typical newbie, and a trainer at that???

Go ahead and use your "chart", then poll all of your what, 3 or 7 trainees over the months and find out if they use "your chart".

A trainer ought to have at the very least, 5 to 10 years to KNOW WHAT he is doing. You are still wet behind your ears.

4. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    You didn't read my most recent post. If my students are still using the chart even in their last week of training, let alone months later, I'm going to be very upset. They shouldn't be using it. You don't get the fact that it's a training aid. That's all....

5. Gizmo_Man

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    Just teach them what the company wants them to know..

1) how to say yes to dispatch

2) how to shut up at the customers

3) how to do the paper work

4) how to use the qualcomm (if so equipped)

5) how to send in the paper work weekly to get a paycheck

6) how to use the elog (if so equipped)

7) how to say yes to dispatch

8] how to say yes to dispatch

9) how to yes yes to dispatch

and finally, the biggest most important thing you could ever teach a newbie???

10) HOW TO SAY YES TO DISPATCH

all other Learning's, they are on thier own, after all, they went to Mc Trucking School they already "know it all", and you cannot teach anyone that know's it all.

6. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX

Wow. I'm so glad you weren't my trainer....

7. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    I don't understand the left side of the chart. You mention going into split sleeper to deliver or even saying you can't deliver. Bottom right is confusing also. First load, second load? Out of hours, drive here, drive there?

Those aren't options that you should get into. You should know everything before you head out with your trip planning. Never put yourself in a position where your delivery is in your 10 off. A trainee might mistake that for an option. With proper planning, all that can be avoided.

Early deliveries are rare at big warehouses. Small places that see a few trucks you might get an early in. Then you have the office end that has to try and push up the trip planning. You still might be stuck with the original preplan and the early delivery didn't do anything.

The trainee has enough on his plate. Teach him to arrive an hour early and leave it at that.

Though you and I can look at a flow chart. You might get a trainee that see's nothing but French looking bubbles and keeps ending up at the beginning. :)

Truck609 and Gizmo_Man Thank this.
  8. Gizmo_Man

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    If I was to have ever been a trainer, you would have been told from day one, "open up your window, and throw out everything that stupid school allegedly taught you".

"Now you're gonna LEARN how to drive a truck and do the job".

Truck609 Thanks this.
  9. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    Well, I wouldn't just hand over the keys, the chart, and the Qualcomm and say, drive! I plan to have a sit-down discussion with the trainee and explain how to use the chart and get them used to thinking about these concerns during the planning so that they don't need the chart anymore.

As for split-logging, I fully intend on teaching my students how to do it and how using it can allow you to complete a load on-time whereas he'd have to pass on the load if he didn't know how. And no, you never want to find yourself having to use split-logging in order to complete a load you're already on. That means you were delayed unexpectedly or bad planning.

CondoCruiser Thanks this.
  10. madmoneymike5

Jan 30, 2010
    Arlington, TX
    So, you've never been a trainer but presume to tell me I'm doing it all wrong?

11. Gizmo_Man

Aug 15, 2011
    Hardly around
    Ah, yeah. (and so have all the others thus far??)

Given time, you will "fall into" the usual non-caring nature of a trainer soon enough, as you will tire from all the BS thrown at you from the newbies, the constant coaching them backing up, fuel island etiquette, daily grooming, and body odors, etc,etc, and will only be in it for the money, which I presume is the reason why you got into this in the first place.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.