Arriving Early

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by madmoneymike5, Mar 12, 2012.

1. LandShark

LandShark Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Riverdale, Ga
    Heck I just show up early and just act like I am supposed to be there. Sometimes it works sometimes it don't.
    Just last night I rolled in 18 hours early, handed him my bills backed in to a door dropped the trailer found an empty, went to bed. Woke up and left and still wasn't supposed to be there for another 4 hours.

ac120, Gizmo_Man and windsmith Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Giz, it seems that you feel that what works best for you is the ONLY way to do something right. And that because YOU would get tired of all the BS from newbies, constant coaching, etc., that EVERYONE will.

Got news for you. Everyone's different. What works for you may or may not be the best way for someone else. Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

4. Boardhauler

Boardhauler Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Ballin' in it for Shakey
    Next thing you know somebody will do a 20+ page manual on how to throw chains.

Gizmo_Man Thanks this.
  5. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    If they're still using it, they'll also probably run under low-clearance structures while watching their GPS and talking on the phone. :biggrin_25523:

What he said. How often do we hear, "My trainer didn't teach me anything!" and "He just used me for a second log book."?

I agree that at first the chart looks crazy complicated, but it is about what drivers do in the real world. (Hey, if someone gave us charts like this for what our lives would be like, many of us would give up! :biggrin_2559:) People learn differently and the chart may overwhelm some trainees; doesn't mean they're dumb. The OP is trying not to not teach an important part of the job/lifestyle and he doesn't seem to just want a second log book.

BTW, highflight1985, why do you want to train?

Happens and students need to know that and how to deal with it.

6. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    There is one.

7. mickeyinlasvegas

mickeyinlasvegas Light Load Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Niles, MI
    Well it's good for rookies. Looks like he may have a job one day in Driver Development or safety

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  8. Ruges

Ruges Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    InMyTruck, USA
    The chart is the thought process of an exsperienced driver. Exsperienced drivers go threw this chart without even realizing it. At first glance it might look complicated, but in reality it is very simple and most do it without even thinking about it. I could defenatly see it helping out new drivers. It gets them thinking what they should be thinking about.

9. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
  10. ac120

ac120 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2010
    Nah, it's just a disagreement.

11. ship71021

ship71021 Medium Load Member

Nov 7, 2007
    Louisiana
    I always try to deliver early. I start by calling the customer to see if they will take the load early. I sometimes will do a dry run if i'm not really familiar to the area. Getting as close to the customer as you can has always helped me. The earlier i'm able to get off my load the sooner i can get my next load to make money. that is why we do what we do.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.