Arthritis

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by CryloZeus, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Jwhis

Jwhis Heavy Load Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Which omegas are in roller dogs? Asking for a friend

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    Thanks. Were you on the brand name or generic Celebrex?

Elroythekid Thanks this.
  4. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon

5. Omega1

Omega1 Heavy Load Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Oregon
  6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I wear a set of Mechanix Gloves I won in a gaming competition and that does the same thing without the need to wrap all wheels or fight the heat.

7. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You do not want to be on that stuff. I was on it for two months only to discover additional problems which is not worth the drug. There is one medicine called Vimovo which is a combining of two medicines valued at close to 3000 dollars a month retail after taxes. 35000 per year to take.

I was taught at the Pharmacy that I use esomeprazole magnesium which by itself 15 dollars retail OTC for the exact same drug. That drug prevents or cuts down on the stomach acid specifically, particularly the type that goes into Ulcers and vomiting which is something you do not want.

I take it cautiously two days with at least three off in between.

As far as the Celebrex we have had both brand and generic and we were forced to stop using that stuff due to more trouble than it's worth. I have had huge amounts of stress both at work in trucking and also at home with a family who does not understand what 14 days off in a row really means. (*After a few months out) so they harp about it. If you plan on taking time off, get your own place. No parents no problem.

8. Elroythekid

Elroythekid Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Halifax Nova Scotia
    Brand name

9. Snow Monster

Snow Monster Medium Load Member

Feb 9, 2019
    I've been dealing with arthritis for about 40 years and have a few suggestions that might not give you instant relief but won't hurt you either.
    Garlic, fish oil and licorice are said to be good for the joints, keeps them lubricated.
    If you don't drink a lot of water you might increase your intake.
    They say dairy products keep your bones strong.

Don't know if your boss would go for it, take a torch to the gearshift lever and bend it into a more comfortable position for you to work with, don't set the truck on fire.
    I did this to almost every cabover I ever drove because of my wrists, messed up shoulder and extra long arms and legs.

Another thing to think about is shifter extensions to offset the handle or to change the position of your hand on the shifter to a more comfortable one.
    I don't care for the modern 13 & 18 spd handles, always felt uncomfortable to me.
    Trucks I drove with old style 15 spd and 2 stick trans I carried 3 different shift handles, when one became uncomfortable I switched to another handle for relief.

Someone mentioned a looser grip on the steering wheel.
    A larger steering wheel would help, makes it easier to move around it's axis and requires less of a firm grip to keep it straight.

There's a chance that part of your suffering is neurological, a repetitive use injury like carpel tunnel syndrome.
    This is where a brace might help, I wore one on my right wrist for a few months and it helped a lot, but I went to a medical supply company and tried on several models before I bought a real heavy duty one.
    Stay away from the drugstore braces, okay for office work, not for trucking.

Being conscious of the way you work also helps, figure out different and less painful ways to do your job, or see if you can get on a lighter duty or different type of job for a while to see if you improve.

Do you play guitar or piano?
    Think about it.:)

10. chickentanker

chickentanker Bobtail Member

Apr 3, 2018
    My wife has degenerative arthritis in her neck and back. Was diagnosed with kidney failure due to years of over the counter pain relievers. I bought her a Quell electronic pain relief stimulation device a year and a half ago. She seldom takes the pain relievers anymore and swears by it. 60 day money back guarantee.
    Got it off of Amazon, Have to replace the electrodes every 10 days to 2 weeks. About 20 bucks each.
    Might be worth looking into..

11. Labrador

Labrador Medium Load Member

May 31, 2018
    I am sorry I never saw this, I don't think I received notification. Absolutely NSAIDS can be pretty dangerous. I am taking quite a few right now and need to start thinking of alternatives. I was on Celebrex for a little while, the generic version, and it did not seem to help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.