Ask A TMC Driver

Discussion in 'TMC' started by TarpWhisperer, Nov 30, 2015.

1. TarpWhisperer

TarpWhisperer Bobtail Member

Oct 11, 2015
    They tell us it's for fuel mileage, safety, all sorts of ####. Honestly, I think it's because they don't want to have to bring every truck into the shop to redo the download to the computer.

truckon and Natethetrucker04 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. cdsc1416

cdsc1416 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2013
    RI
    TarpWhisperer, what kind of GPS do you use? My gf is asking me what I want from Santa Claus, and while I can't mention everything I want here (he he). I thought a trucker GPS would be helpful.

4. TarpWhisperer

Oct 11, 2015
    A lot of guys like the Rans Mcnally, but I know my trainers was crashing all the time. Being ex military, we always used Garmin, so I did a bunch of research, and ended up going with the Garmin Dezl 770. It's amazing so far, but be careful with the shortest distance route function, because it will literally take you down streets, with stoplights, for over a hundred miles, to cut down 40 miles lol. Just remember, it's a tool, still check which way it's taking you, and compare it to the Qualcomm, and atlas of you need to.

But you probably already knew all that lol, sorry. I like the Garmin so far. And if she hurries to get it, it was still on sale for $360, at Pilot.

cdsc1416 Thanks this.
  5. cdsc1416

cdsc1416 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2013
    RI
    Thanks TarpWhisperer. I am also Military. I'm finishing up my time with the Army Reserve. Got my 20 year letter and calling it quits. Have a few deployments as well and used the GI Bill for my CDL School. Also looking at TMC and enjoying your thread.

TarpWhisperer Thanks this.
  6. cdsc1416

cdsc1416 Bobtail Member

Oct 5, 2013
    RI
    One more question TarpWhisperer. What other items did you need starting out with TMC? Meaning as a newbie what did you have to purchase to be successful/make life on the road easier? Having received my CDL and looking at TMC Im trying to make a list of items to have. Thanks

7. TarpWhisperer

Oct 11, 2015
    I think the only thing I bought for the truck so far was the GPS, some milk crates to store my straps and edge protectors in to minimize trips around the trailer when securing. Also a strap winder, and a pvc pole to put edge protectors on tall loads. But your trainer will have most of that, if not all.

str8t10, Natethetrucker04 and cdsc1416 Thank this.
  8. just curious2015

just curious2015 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2015
    Ok I am sure I will get rude comments but I am asking this question for a friend. They just finished school the first of November and is really interested in going to tmc. He decided to make life changes to go to school and get a better job than in a factory. He question is do they do a urine test or hair test. Let me make it know he has been clean for almost 3 months.

9. TarpWhisperer

Oct 11, 2015
    Urine test, they say it goes back a couple months. Just tell him to be careful, because if you fail a DOT drug test, you're basically ending your career before you even started. If I were him, pay for one out of his own pocket, to ensure he can pass it, before taking the actual one.

10. just curious2015

just curious2015 Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2015
    He
    He took one when he was in school and passed. He just didnt want to end the career before he got a chance to begin.

TarpWhisperer Thanks this.
  11. Coolbreeze100

Coolbreeze100 Medium Load Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Macon, GA
    Hey, I wanted to pass along a tip to you guys that haul spools (if you have'nt you will). Get an 8 foot length of half inch conduit. Take some heavy carpet remnant and cut in a 6 inch by 4 inch strip. Fold it length way and duct tape it in to a loop on one end of your conduit. When you need to passa chain through the spool eye, you can feed the loop end throgh and hook the chain on the carpet, duct tape loop then pull it back through. The conduit will stand in your tarp locker.

Hope this helps someone

TNSquire Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.