Ask A Trooper Anything

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Cybergal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I've never searched a truck because of a radar detector. Yes it's illegal in a truck by Probable Cause for a search, I'm not hanging my hat on that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

I guess I was close on some. The radar detector was one was in Texas. It was a DOT DPS officer that stopped me. He asked to search my truck and I asked "what if I say no?" He was the one that explained the "plain view" search. I had nothing to hide and he asked if he would find anything. I told him no, he came back with the radar detector and said that was illegal contraband and now he was going to see what else I had to hide. LOL He never cuffed me, never called for backup and gave me the radar detector back. No tickets or anything. He was good about everything. Never found anything anyway. :biggrin_25519:

I think it has to be tough for officers if it's not something blatantly obvious but you know the driver is hiding something. I get stereotyped sometimes I think because I am fully tattooed, head shaved, hat on backwards, etc. I look like I can be trouble. :biggrin_25525:

4. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    I've got more illegal stuff of off clean cut individuals than I have from tatooed, shaved head fellas that aren't sure which way their hat belongs

1nonly Thanks this.
  5. old-six-pack

old-six-pack Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2007
    vernon hill, va
    i don't have a problem with a search, but i've heard of searches tearing ones truck all to pieces and leaving it like that.??????:biggrin_25511:

6. Biscuit75

Biscuit75 Road Train Member

The one I mentioned left everything out of the cabinets on the bed. The sheets off the bed, pillow cases off the pillows. Top bunk down. Front storage cabinets were emptied onto the seats and floor. Took me an hour to put it all up. I was not happy, but what can ya do? :biggrin_2552:

7. MO family man

MO family man Heavy Load Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Nunya, MO
    Why does it seem that every IA trooper has their own interpretation of the HOS. The last one actually said I had to make a little dot wherever two intersecting lines met on my graph. I got a warning for this which while it carries no fine I don't collect a bonus from my carrier for having a clean inspection.

One more beef is how does this trooper get away with scanning my sig off my driver's license instead of having me sign like others do? This really seems border line shady to me.

8. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    The one that gets me is "I am the law." The trouble with arguing with those guys, and I am not saying that to be sexist, is that by definition, the intersection of two lines is a point, you shouldn't need to make a dot but the 'law' says you do.That one I would take to court. That is not in the FMCSA unless I missed it somehow, and I read legalese really well.

Scanning your sig instead of you signing is a gray area, find a lawyer and fight it if you feel like it, the thing is, it may not matter to anyone but you depending on the jurisdiction that you are in. I would put it into the same category as red light cameras and photo speed limit enforcement.

Where and when was this if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  9. goose19726

goose19726 Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2009
    harrah, ok
    my post was an observation made after 14 years of driving trucks, and no I don't get tickets, nor have I had one for many years. but after all these years driving trucks and watching these troopers continually harass drivers while ignoring the unsafe actions of 4 wheelers, what else am I supposed to think?
    I have seen incidences of troopers making otherwise illegal U-turns on the interstate that cause a fatal accident (killing both trooper and driver), and the hiway patrol doing everything intheir power to lay blame on the driver

how many times have you seen a weigh staion backed up onto the hiway so the officers can check your tax papers, in the name of saftey?

I have witnessed troopers drive right past people in need of assistance and ignore them , many times

and city county cops are usually worse

never met a cop that did not have a negative bias towards truck drivers, they were like this when I entered this industry and have not changed, if they want my respect then like everyone else they will have to earn it, strapping on a badge and gun is not enough, anyone with an attitude problem can do that

you are entitled to your beliefs, just as I am, but try to man up and actually refute my claims rather than resort to insults because I don't see things your way, that is pretty juvenile at best

MuddyWaters Thanks this.
  10. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I have met many LEOs that are not bad to truck drivers. I have only gotten 1 speeding ticket since I got my CDL in 1991. I have however received 3 seatbelt violations and a few parking tickets over that time. And yes, my seatbelt was on and I was not parked in the others. Just they gave me non moving violations instead so my license was not affected.

I will also say though, that out of those only one was from a state trooper, others were all from local law in several states. I do not speed much anymore. I have found that for the most part it does not get me anywhere much faster. My truck will go 85+ but I rarely push it past 70 (i drive mostly in 65 mph states).

On the search issue. I have never been searched. I also would never allow a search, since I cannot see any reason they would have probable cause. Unless they are working with faulty info from an informant. In which case they would not ask anyway.
    I also do not answer any questions that are not required by the stop. There is no legal reason to do so. I will tell them exactly what is required and nothing more.
    Once I sign a ticket I will ask "am I free to go?" if they say no, then I ask if I am under arrest. If not I will again ask if I am free to go, and if not the reason I am being detained.

Sure, in a truck I have to allow them to get someone there to do an inspection ect if they feel it is needed. I also have the right, if caught for anything to be allowed to have someone secure my belongings and truck/ load.
    Most people do not know there rights. You have the right to remain silent. Use it. More people are arrested for not using that right every year than most can imagine. If a LEO feels he needs to search your person, they are allowed by law to pat you down for weapons, that is it, unless you are under arrest or they have probable cause. I can go on and on.

11. IAMGREAT

IAMGREAT Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2006
    BUTTE AMERICA !!!
    Ask a trooper? Ya rite!! The best answer you will get is a lie, as they are trained to lie!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.