Ask A Trooper Anything

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Cybergal, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I do wear my seatbelt 95% of the time in a car/pickup and 99.9% of the time in a big truck. I was in an accident 7 years ago in my car, and the seatbelt saved me from any serious injuries, at the very least. I do still have back pain as a result, but it's better than had I eaten the steering wheel or windshield I'm sure.

Alas, it's my choice to wear it. It should also be my choice not to wear it.

While I'm normally not one to buy into theories that all laws are passed just to create revenue, I can't help but believe that this is one such law. I believe that insurance companies lobbied the appropriate governing authority (be it state or federal) to insure (no pun intended) this law was passed.

The statistics don't lie. The majority of the time you are safer with a seatbelt than without one, but as Red stated who is hurt by not wearing one? Only the person not wearing it.

Consider the similarity between seatbelt laws and McDonald's doing away with the Super Sized value meal. If I wanna be unhealthy, obese, and die of a heart attack at 45, that's my right as an American. Likewise, if I wanna be thrown from a vehicle in a rollover type accident and have it crush me to death, that's my right to decide, not the state's.

It should be an individual choice, not a mandated law.

kwforage Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dieselbear

dieselbear Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2008
    Basically what I think the gov't. is saying to us is this: We are to stupid to protect ourselves, so they will protect us. I heard the arguement for years and heard every imaginable excuse under the sun.

4. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    Exactly. But you, sir, know that not all of us need to be babysat by big brother.

5. kwforage

kwforage Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Wisconsin
    cops are just like any other group of people including truckers. some work hard and do there job well, others are arrogant pricks who are as crooked as the day is long, and do not care about anyone but themselves. it only takes a couple to make the who group look bad.

on the seatbelt subject, I never have, and never will wear one no matter how many tickets I get. but on the other hand I will never ride my motorcycle without a helmet. kind of f-ed up logic I know. seatbelts are required by law but helmets are not. maybe it's just me rebelling against the law trying to "force me" to be safe.

6. HONKYLIPS

HONKYLIPS Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2009
    just dont drive with a white teeshirt on thats like begging for a seatbelt ticket

7. chief

chief Heavy Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Flavor Country, NC
    ummmmmm, I have a question for "dieselbear...." if you're a cop (and not a trucker,) then why are you even on here? do truckers join message boards meant for folks in law enforcement?

8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    There are a lot of people on here that are not truckers . Do you think it isn't an asset to have someone with law enforcement background to give reliable answers to questions on regulations rather than the off the wall interpretations somebody heard on the CB . There's a lot of wannabes here that never could find a job but they are valuable because if others have the sense to learn from their experience they won't waste thousand of dollars getting a CDL that will never be used . This site is more than a place for truckers to come and whine and brag and BS .

Tran Man and MuddyWaters Thank this.
  9. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    A question was asked, "Why are there seat belt laws." The answer is because the state legislature enacted them. Just like most other laws. The cops do not make the law! But it IS their job to enforce it. And that includes the laws that they do not personally like themselves. It is what they are paid to do. In fact, it is what they are sworn to do.

As far as the seat belt law being "unconstitutional," well, I don't know how that one was figured out.:biggrin_25512:

I personally do have a problem with both the seat belt, and motorcycle helmet laws. Yeah, I believe in wearing them. But no, I don't think "Big Brother" should force a person to.

But I don't remember anybody from the State of Caliphornia coming to me and asking my opinion before the laws were enacted...and yes, when I was a cop, I did enforce these laws. Why? Because it was a part of my job.

I realize that there are a lot of folks who don't like cops. That is fine, it is their right to express their views.:biggrin_25519:

Just keep in mind that a lot of us who are (or were, in my case,) drivers also have been cops. So we have seen both sides of the equation.

Walk a mile in my shoes. . .

dieselbear Thanks this.
  10. Red Fox

Red Fox Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2009
    Acworth, Ga.
    Well Cheif, I haven't gotten back on the road yet, so I'm not a trucker, per se. But I am here gleaning information, and as far as I'm concerned, Dieselbear and PSAnderson have their heads on straight and are the MOST WELCOME posters, separating fact from fancy.

Perhaps there is a somewhat universal view by the professional drivers as to the constant whiners not really being truckers. If the general consensus of the drivers says one thing, vs. an opposing viewpoint by the complainers, guess who I side with?
    If the LEO posters give their opinion or post the laws pertinent to their area of operations or arena of knowledge, guess what I relate to? I've learned a LOT from these guys.

Tran Man and MuddyWaters Thank this.
  11. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    This forum is for ANYONE that wishes to be here.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.