ask help:hit and run today

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by kennyvcobb, Jan 10, 2014.

1. fld

fld Medium Load Member

Nov 24, 2012
    I'm sorry to hear of this. Yuma is kind of a step back in time, but it's hard to believe there aren't cameras SOMEWHERE at that truckstop.

Ask your boyfriend to check to see if they have cameras where the trucks fuel up. Maybe he got fuel.

If there is a repair garage, ask there, too. Maybe he had work done to his truck.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Hi Semi Crazy,

How are you?

Asking this question and replying could get you into a whole lot of "HOT WATER" at a regular job site as a distribution center, factory, office, retail establishment, etc..

I realize that you were just being humorous, but do be careful.

God bless every American and their families! God bless the U.S.A.!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Your English is fine.What exactly did that other vehicle do to your mans trk?With that much damage,i'm surprised the other vehicle made it out of the parking lot.

5. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    This is not a dating thread silly,lol.

6. Richter

Richter Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Philadelphia Pa
    Does the truckstop have security cameras? Might be able to get more evidence from them.

7. kennyvcobb

kennyvcobb Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Thanks.
    The truck needs change bumper,paint.The bumper is $1500,and other parts are 1500 or so.I didn't see the pic cause bad sign.It is hard to send me email.The guy just ran fast,all were shocked.
    And there was a hit and run in this parking lot serval days before.

8. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    kennyvcobb:

1. Get the police report AND get statements from each witness. The police should have collected written statements from each witness or at least taken notes from conversations with them.

2. Although the truck stop apparently didn't have video cameras, the chances are excellent that there are traffic cameras nearby.

3. The witnesses should be able to tell what kind of damage the Peterbilt had from the accident. If there was that much damage to your boyfriend's truck, then there should also be damage to the tractor or trailer of the Peterbilt.

4. Ask the police to review traffic cameras near the truck stop soon after the time of the accident and look for a black Peterbilt with damage.

Insurance should cover the week down time. Your boyfriend will need to submit average earnings for the previous two months so they can calculate average income per week. Once the truck is repaired and back on the road they will calculate how many days income he should receive.

Good luck.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  9. kennyvcobb

kennyvcobb Light Load Member

Jan 10, 2014
    Thank you so much.These are exactly good advice.
    We did advice one.We suggested that the police checked the cam nearby,but they didn't.
    If the insurance can cover the week down time it will be perfect.Casue it is winter time,everybody knows it is hard time.It is not easy for us to pay loan,insurance and the lost in Jan.
    Should we ask the insurance company about this or they will pay without asking?I did not trust any insurance company.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Years ago when I was a company driver this happened to my brand new '04 Volvo bobtail tractor. Lovell Rd Pilot Knoxville, TN about 3am - I was in the shower when i heard announcement looking for me over the loudspeaker- my co name and truck number. It was a straight truck some kind of household mover is the best we could figure from the poor quality security video footage. At least half a dozen people witnessed it and none with the presence of mind to read the offending co's name on the door. Police were called it was wrote up. Absolutely nothing could be done about it. They got away scott free. The company I drove for was self insured they just ate about $3,000 in damage. Happens everyday. We live in a surveillance society police state with cameras everywhere, and they always get the culprit on ID Channel... ....but they won't when it happens to you. Always a good idea to make notes of who is parked beside you if you leave your truck unattended but even that might not help much. Sorry about your luck.

11. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Ask the insurance company about "down time coverage". You are correct to not trust an insurance company to let you know everything about the policy, some companies may not volunteer to give you information about what is in the policy.

My brother was hit by a driver of a small company in a truckstop. In his case the trucker was honest and came to notify my brother, and they exchanged information about insurance companies, driver's license, etc. Even then, dealing with the insurance company of that other driver was a big problem. It took months for the repairs to be completed and they didn't cover everything. They tried to get out of paying down time because he had a total of five weeks down time, but eventually they paid when we told them we were going to hire a lawyer. Even then my brother ended up paying over $10,000 from his own pocket to complete the repairs the insurance company refused to pay.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.