ASK ME ANYTHING

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by brokerguy, Feb 7, 2018.

1. dirtycurty26

dirtycurty26 Bobtail Member

May 16, 2010
    delhi,ca
    im considering getting my own authority and get into hot shoting. I went otr for a year 6 years ago the rest is all local driving. I know Mercer and landstar require recent otr experience to lease with them. I'm not into the idea of going otr as a company driver but have no problem with it as long it was for my own business. how would my lack of recent otr experience affect my ability to get freight with my own authority? also are there any brokers that you know of the specialize in hot shoting, do any exist? thank you in advance for your time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NHS

NHS Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Recent OTR experience will have nothing to do with your ability to get freight with your own authority. Rather it will have more to do with your sales acumen and business sense (whether working with direct customers or brokers). Sure, knowing the ropes from an OTR Driver’s standpoint would help, but isn’t the sole factor that will determine success. Having a new authority # will identify you as a new entrant, but it doesn’t mean you have to act like one. The only thing it may affect is that some brokers have rules in place that require you to have your authority for 6 months - 1 year, etc before they’ll work with you. However most of the newer O/Os here will confirm there are many out there that will work with you from day one. Oh and of course most brokers (and direct customers/shippers) will see a new authority and probably try to take advantage of you, but that is up to you to guard against.

As far as hotshot freight IMO you have to position yourself correctly both geographically and business wise to serve the industries that require this type of service. Not just a small partial load, but true hot shot/expidite type freight. My suggestion from a brokers perspective is to research it a bit, but you can start by posting your equipment on one of the load boards and see who comes to you and go from there. I’d say the market is in your favor in most places to at least try that approach.

PPDCT, DSK333, boredsocial and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Lite bug

Lite bug Road Train Member

May 3, 2014
    Columbus Ohio
    That is one of the best answers I have ever read

NHS Thanks this.
  5. Midnightrider909

Midnightrider909 Road Train Member

Oct 26, 2016
    African or European?

not4hire Thanks this.
  6. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Here’s a question for @brokerguy or any other broker for that matter. I was called about hauling a load yesterday morning that I agreed to for next Thursday. Haven’t signed the papers or filled out the packet yet. My problem is it dawned on me my step sons birthday is Friday, and if I take the load I take the risk of not making it back home in time. The rath from my wife would be detrimental to my health. How pissed do brokers get when a carrier cancels a load before signing papers? Maybe it’s not even a problem giving her this much advance notice. I know I’m not obligated, but I don’t want to get a reputation of being a bad carrier to deal with.

7. PPDCT

PPDCT Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2017
    St. Paul, MN
    Howdy Gumper. There's three ways this'll go.

One, the guy understands, no harm no foul. You've given him ample lead time to recover.

Item two: guy gets a little pissy, but recognizes you have no paperwork, and as such aren't beholden to him. He maybe #####es about it to you and his coworkers, and moves on to recovering it and forgets about you in a day or two.

Option three: dude turns it into a royal ####storm. Threatens you, reads you the riot act, etc. You have now identified a broker you do not want to work for, period. If a guy flips his lid on a load a week out, something is terribly wrong.

8. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Yeah anyone who loses their mind about this is a problem child and should be avoided. Think about how they are going to react if anything goes wrong on the load?

These are the kinds of people who justify all kinds of crazy ####ery in their heads. This also goes for trucking company people who lose their minds about a load cancelling a day out or even the morning of. Stuff happens in this business, and dealing with it is why we're all gainfully employed back at the office.

PPDCT and whoopNride Thank this.
  9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    I really wanted to haul it since it’s only 10,000# paying full rate, and it’s military stuff. #### family stuff..

PPDCT and boredsocial Thank this.
  10. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

Would you normally haul 10k for less than full rate?
    o_O

PPDCT Thanks this.
  11. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    If you use 9.75 combined on-duty and driving hours per day or less, you can sustain that forever without a 34 hour restart.

Ask me how I know.

Scvready Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.