ask your questions about prime inc here

Discussion in 'Prime' started by bartage, May 6, 2009.

1. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    However... this thread is about Prime Inc. - not say Trans Am, Useless Express or Weener. At PRIME, on the reefer side, the wait will most likely (98.9987% of the time!) not exceed 1 week. And you'll spend that extra week working on the pad learning to back up better.

Tanker yankers and flatheads will wait longer, but that's because there are less of them at Prime. What we usually do is send you out on the reefer side, because 95% of what a trainer is going to teach you can be learned pulling one of them. Then they assign you to a tanker or a flatbed for about 30 days to learn the peculiarities of those peculiar trades.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. charlie240

charlie240 Bobtail Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kannapolis,NC
    "Do most newbie's head out on the 4th day of orientation" by kickmack

I am here in Springfield now. Some students left friday night, some this weekend. others are waiting. the only drivers I have met who have waited a week or two here are those who had to switch trainers for some reason or had to go home for an emergency. Friday here is spent on the pad and then you meet in the terminal to be assigned an instructor/trainer who may or may not keep you the whole time. Some only wish to do the initial training, not the 2nd phase. If I am still here on June 2nd when you arrive......well..... then we will have to talk...lol. Good luck...you will enjoy it. I am still here on a paperwork error of my own making so I won't get out till at least Tues pm.

4. jtaylor

jtaylor Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2008
    bonifay, FL
    So what would you say was the average annual income for a L/O first year?

5. jtaylor

jtaylor Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2008
    bonifay, FL
    Also, I live about five miles from I-10 in Florida. Do you see a lot of loads along this route?

6. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    You don't say whether you have any experience driving, so it's impossible to say. A company driver could make somewhere between $35,000 to $45,000 in the first year depending on their work ethic. What kind of weekly money do you need to make?

We get down to FL and GA... loads pay better going in than going out for lease ops - it's all the same for company drivers.

7. shifty

shifty Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2008
    Conway, AR
    When I was talking to my recruiter she asked if i had a passport. How far into Canada do we go? Do we run all the way up to Alaska?

8. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Just the lower tier - turns out most of Canada is within a 100 or so miles of the border. Passports like TWIC cards are now a requirement...

9. kickmack

kickmack Bobtail Member

May 16, 2009
    Cave Spring, GA
    Do they process you for your Passports and TWIC cards during your orientation? You ever see anyone get turned away if they can't get either one?

While in the first 3-4 week "training" phase, do you only run the hours of a solo, since your trainer has to be up front with you while you are driving? I guess that would be common sense, but thought I would ask the question anyways.

Thanks,
    Kevin

10. Tnman03

Tnman03 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2009
    Tn
    Hey U2 or Ironpony, this question is not on the topic here, but is the insurance decent, affordable. Just crossed my mind, so i thought Id ask

11. ironpony

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    When you are receiving CDL instruction on a permit, your instructor has to be sitting in the right seat. You can run "super solo" since his drive time isn't being used against his 14, but while the student is driving, he has to log on-duty not driving.

After you get your CDL, you're "in training," and you'll be doing a 10-on, 10-off or a 12 and 12 routine, or something like that.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.