assist in inspection?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by sbaumann14, Feb 24, 2013.

1. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    Ok, just got DOT'd.... ABS light out, and liscense plate light out. got me thinking....Do I have to "assist" the officer in an inspection? like when he tells me to turn on lights, step on brakes, ect.... it would seem that I have protection under SOME law from not incriminating myself, which I would be doing by helping the officer find flaws and offences that could justify a citation and possible monitary penality. Anyone?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bigjoel

bigjoel Road Train Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Houston, Tx
    If you refused to help, he would place you out of service. Kind of like being between a rock and a hard place.

EZ Money Thanks this.
  4. UnnamedSickness

UnnamedSickness Light Load Member

Feb 11, 2013
    great question.....I wonder how that would go over

Officer "please step on your brake pedal and hold it"
    Driver "No....."

5. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Out of service for what? The regulations specify what the OOS infractions are, and I have never seen "failure to assist" as one of them. Now if you stand in his way, he could arrest you for obstruction or possibly disorderly conduct....but if you simply get out of his way and allow him to do his inspection without your assistance, I don't see where there would be a problem.

On second thought, when you refuse to assist, he'll call in a second officer to assist. That second officer will sit in your driver's seat and operate the controls you had been asked to operate. Now that the second officer is inside your truck, he's not just going to sit there eyes forward. He's going to have a look around...so I hope you don't have anything "in plain view" for him to find inside your cab. Also, that officer who had to waste time waiting for the 2nd officer to arrive is not going to be as willing to let a minor thing slide. Yup...brace yourself for the nit-pickiest inspection you ever did have, He's going to go over that truck with a fine-tooth comb. Anything even remotely approaching borderline is going to be written up on that inspection form and will subsequently adversely affect your CSA score.

So yeah, you COULD stand there on the side of the road and plead your case that the 5th Amendment prohibits him from FORCING you to be a witness against yourself and therefore you respectfully decline to aid him in performing the inspection....but generally speaking, it isn't a good idea. Save the legal battles for the court room.

Woodys, misterG, Moosetek13 and 8 others Thank this.
  6. david123abc

david123abc Heavy Load Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    I'd say that's pretty much it, and he probably won't be nice enough to let anything he finds slide with just a warning either.

7. critters

critters <b>Late For Dinner</b>

Jul 16, 2011
    traverse city,MI
    or worse yet he could wait all day to do anything with your truck because you refuse to assist him,worth the delay? I myself have found that a good attitude and having spare lights will often times give you the opportunity to fix before he finishes report which will result in a clean inspection.We need to remember they have a job to do also and if we do our job correctly they wont have any thing to find on our trucks,but things happen lights burn out wires come loose, your best freind at that time? respect,level head,work with the officer in general just be cool about it.

Moosetek13, ncmickey, rockee and 2 others Thank this.
  8. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    very well said.Don't think I would have said it that nicely.I need to work on that,lol

9. sbaumann14

sbaumann14 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Rhinelander, WI
    suppose the officer that is called over doesn't have a class A CDL. he can't "legally" operate the vehicle right? not trying to be a dick or anything, just wondering

10. snowblind

snowblind Heavy Load Member

Jan 29, 2011
    conover nc
    and why would you not want to assist.....

11. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    You're supposed to log all roadside inspections as on-duty (or at least all the carrier's say so) so you'd better be doing something productive. But to go along with the OP, if our morning PTI was not good enough, and LE wants to do it themselves, then who are we to interfere or get in their way or try and tell them how to do their job? Yes, we could make their job easier, but why should we? We are trained to perform inspections solo and to do a flawless job at it, so why is it too much to ask the chief enforcement mechanism to do their inspection by THEMSELVES? In fact, wouldn't it behoove a trucker to watch and observe the "experts" perform an inspection and look over their shoulder and take notes and ask questions? just sayin.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.