Atkins Diet On the Road

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by DoubleO7, Aug 26, 2015.

1. EatYourVeggies

EatYourVeggies Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2016
    High quality coconut oil has many benefits.

I put 1/2 tea spoon in my coffee. The mct (medium chain triglyceride due to a shorter carbon chain) is - according to current research - preferentially used by the liver for energy.

I also cook with coconut oil. If I use a neutral tasting brand, it doesn't make everything taste...well, like coconuts.

People can avoid carbs and still GAIN weight or STOP losing weight after the honeymoon phase of keto diets are over - if your caloric intake exceeds your output.

A common mistake I see is a complete disregard for vegetables such as broccoli. You need this for the nutrients and colon health.

And avoid garbage like hydrogenated vegetable oil. Once you make a habit of reading labels, you'll be amazed how many foods have this. Just because it's not a carb does NOT mean it's okay to consume it.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    DoubleO7 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DoubleO7

DoubleO7 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    I hate Sal Mart, but buy my food there because I know I can get a truck in and they are easy to find. Go to the frozen section and check out the frozen grilled chicken breasts and the hardboiled peeled eggs.

4. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Hmm... my Coleman cooler died for some reason. I'm thinking of just getting a more basic cooler to replace for chilled water to drink.

So, I'm mostly looking at basic things to take on the road. Even PB&J sandwiches. I picked up 100% whole grain bread, Smuckers Natural Peanut Butter, and some Jam(not jelly). Also brought apples and bananas to always have something to eat. Otherwise, if I have time I might get one of the few salads at truck stops.

Unfortunately, I'm basically living out of the truck so I don't have regular access to a kitchen to pre-cook a bunch of food. However, I have considered a Crockpot that might work for when I go by Kwik Trips that have a somewhat decent meat selection.

5. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois

Basic is best. I try to keep food that I can eat while driving.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  6. EatYourVeggies

EatYourVeggies Light Load Member

Nov 10, 2016
    It amazes me when otr drivers won't invest in a decent cooler. Even if you have to replace it once a year, the money you save in the long run is worth it.

And I'm no longer a believer in the whole grain dogma. I actually think it's a farce.

Meh, grown ups can put whatever they want in their bodies.

7. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in

I don't have an APU and I'm not supposed to idle. A small cooler will keep running until a low voltage power cutoff triggers. I could keep the cooler going as long as I'm running steady, but if I have to do a 34 hour restart on the road, I'm not sure if I'll just lose a lot of perishable food. I suppose in that case I could get a bag of ice.

As for things like grains, I'm wondering if that is only for early Atkins phases like induction or people trying to correct their metabolism?

8. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    What the he77 do you do in the summer???? Driver, you can't lock a pet in a truck like that!

9. VIDEODROME

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wondering that myself. I only started here on December and I do have a bunk heater.

Not sure what the policy is for Summer. If they're unreasonable, at least I almost have 6 months recent experience and in a better position to move on.

10. DoubleO7

Aug 21, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    Call West Side Transport in Cedar Rapids, IA. We have ALI's and a weekly pay commitment.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.