ATS/school

Discussion in 'Anderson' started by pathfinder, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Onegooddet

Onegooddet Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Verndale,Minnesota
    After reading all your posts I dont know how you are still with ATS.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Onegooddet

Onegooddet Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2007
    Verndale,Minnesota
    I am thinking about getting my own rig and going out on my own

4. pathfinder

pathfinder Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    central,MN
    AG, glad to hear from you! And you know better than most, loving life is all that REALLY matters! I would have to agree that the first several months are the hardest. If you are thinking about your own rig... READ UP MAN! Try going to the CDLofit(you know the rest) Kevin has lots of good bus advice on how to make it work. A good perspective.
    As to the lease and hometime its really up to you. They do advise 1 day home for every 7 out but I don't think its really in stone. It is your baby! The lease seemed kind of exp for me, but it is much better than most. Only you can make the final decision of course. Many people are doing fine, others even better. Don't let my problems be the only part of your ATS decision. There are good people there. As w/all co's your relat. W/your FM is key. If you don't work well together etc you can change. It IS in their int to make it work too. If flats are what you want, as well as leasing, I still think ATS is one of the best choices. Oh, and AG, I'm not at ATS anymore. Went to work for an O/O who is leased to MCT out of Sioux Falls. So far the miles have been great. Very flexible boss and no forced disp!

5. franco51797

franco51797 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2009
    charlestown,ri
    Here you are again everyone dropped the ball everyone dropped the ball.You are like a broken record.I did'nt drop no ball I was available and willing to work.ATS dropped the ball.They didn't live up to their contract aggreement i lived up to mine.I never asked for hometime.I asked to be run and run hard.They couldn't get the freight so i'm supposed to go home with empty pockets.The only one that dropped the ball is ats.I am so glad that you love them so much.They are a crap company.When the old man died the integrity of the company died with them.And as far as the differance between a driver and a truck driver you got it wrong bud.A true truck driver can and will drive anything with wheels you put in front of him.He doesn't need to be trained he has that tucker mentality.He takes the load and gets it from point a to b in any weather or road conditions and delivers safely,undamaged and on time.A driver?Well the industry has a lot of them out there now driving their automatics.Guys and women that lost their factory job and saw how much money truckers made and decided to get retrained.I sir am a true truck driver.I am 41 and drove my first truck at 15 with no license.I am well respected by the people that have met me during my career and can at any time go back to work for any of them.I have never ever had an accident and my mvr is spotless.Again you don't know me.I posted to tell people about my experiances with ats to give them some insight in case they were thinking about going to work there.But because you a guy who thinks the sun rises and sets at ats are doing ok there everyone else is a peice of crap and wrong and you are right.You insulted me first sir read your previous posts.You were unhappy that i was trashing your company.You stated in a post that you owned your own truck and would never do a lease they are no good.Yet you tell unsuspecting drivers to hire on as a lease driver with them.Do you know why a driver switches to flatbed from vans?Because he can't back up a truck thats why.I have driven all over the country in cluding the haul roads in alaska.When you can drive up there and do it without going in a ditch then you can say you are good.Until then i have nothing more to say to you.You are close minded and think that ATS is god for some reason.For anyone else that wants some insight just talk to an ats lease operater or read some of the other posts from drivers that have been there done that.Ats is just another swift when it comes to leaseing.You will make money ....for them not you.And if you are like me with a family to take care of and bills to pay you it is best to give them a wide birth.Triple you go ahead live in that truck have no life and die in that truck all the while singing praises to ats.A real owner operater that owns his own rig would get his own authority and do it himself.Top of the food chain?I think not.

6. franco51797

franco51797 Bobtail Member

Jun 14, 2009
    charlestown,ri
    Don't waste your breath on triplesixx he has it in for anyone that says ats is no good.He thinks they are the best thing since sliced cheese.And if you don't agree you are not a good truckdriver.I like many,many,many other drivers got taken advantage of at ats.I gave them my all did everything right and still couldn't make a decent paycheck there.When the old man died the true ats died with him.

7. truckinusa

truckinusa Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Ponca City, OK
    I'm sure the situation has worsened because of the economy, but the reality used to be you made about .10cpm less than a company driver. I made .38cpm and an O/O made .28cpm. ATS is going to give you X amount of dollars and it doesn't matter what it costs you to run the truck. If your paycheck is less than the cost of the truck you will go in the negative. Eventually you will pull out of the negative but it is possible you might be there for a while.

8. meat999

meat999 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Det, MI
    franco- i think some of what you say is ok, on the other hand-- why are you so bitter? you have told your story and we all know how you feel about ats. im going there on the 12th and i have nothing but positive thoughts on my mind. and there is nothing negative you can say that will change my mind, out of 10 guys that's posted on this site you are the only one who is negative, so I will believe the positive instead of the negative.

9. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

meat999, ATS is like any other place you work.
    Some people love it and some hate it.
    Be it trucking working at a factory etc.
    Me I've been here for 7 1/2 years.
    I've had my good times and times I want to leave, but it seems like the have esp and will throw me a bone and it works out better for me.

Right now things are slow in some places but I like a lot of drivers are still hanging in there.

Next year is looking better on the books after the first quarter.
    Make yourself veristable. Do'nt limit yourself to just one type of trailer.
    Learn all the tailers and move up in class if that is what you want.
    Some drivers are happy just pulling flats and steps, never wanting OD lds.
    That is their choice.
    Good luck in class next week.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  10. pathfinder

pathfinder Medium Load Member

Aug 25, 2007
    central,MN
    Sorry folks my auto updates must have gotten turned off wan update or something. Didn't know anyone was still reading!LOL a few things: I don't think ATS is a bad company. Too much had changed for my liking. They have become a big company, and therefore have acquired some of bad that comes wall big companies, in any industry. No, they aren't the same as when Harold was alive. But all companies have to adapt. Had my miles stayed up I would have had a harder time leaving. Miles were down but new lease drivers kept getting hired. I understand why this is done from a bus. Standpoint. But it didn't make the prospect for more miles look so good. The lease program looks ok. A bit steep but more strait forward than many. IF I were to go back it would oy be with my own truck, maybe the lease as a last resort. Just not under forced dispatch. I am willing to say that part of the problem WAS with me. I wanted to have more say, and I never have worked well in big companies. Too many years being my own boss! I was ready for a change. ATS just made it easier.

11. meat999

meat999 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Det, MI
    thanks i hope all goes well next week also. as for learning all the types of trailers, dont worry i will. I want to advance up as far as possible. I just wanna make money. The lease payments you talk of--- thats nothing. I'm coming from prime and my fixed cost were 1400 a week so i can handle the payments there at ats. I talked with a friend of mine that just came over from prime and he is happy. he is on the lease and is making money. thats all i need to hear. I run hard and not afraid to go places other drivers only go if they have to. I thought there was no forced dispatch? is that just for company drivers?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.