Auction help !!

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Jestrada0404, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Jestrada0404

Jestrada0404 Bobtail Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Good evening truckers , I am looking to buy a truck but I am undecide. As I see it I have 3 options , 1 buy it from a dealer, 2 buy it from private seller and 3 buy it trough an auction. Here is where I need all your experiences , from a dealer I may get a decent working truck but for a high amount of $ , with a private owner I may get a better price but I can found a lots of problems later and on an auction I can purchase a decent truck no fisical damage for low amount of $ and use the rest of my $ to fix it . help guys ??

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Flip a coin. There are no guarantees no matter which route you choose.

Personally if you have the cash,.. I would seek out O/O's. At least there you can physically see and look at everything you need. Start the truck, drive it, look for problems. Get oil sample,.. bring a mechanic or more experienced friend.

I look at it this way. No one sells a perfect money making problem free truck. Its being sold for a reason. Its up to you to find whats wrong with it and then assess if its worth it to you or negotiate for a better price.

I spent the better part of 14 months searching for what I wanted. If anything doesnt feel right or isnt what you want/need. Walk away.

Hurst

nax, JimmyWells, rabbiporkchop and 3 others Thank this.
  4. Jestrada0404

Sep 13, 2017
    I really appreciate your help , thanks

5. LA runner

LA runner Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2017
    South GA
    Locate a truck with a decent drivetrain
    Warranty.

Jestrada0404 Thanks this.
  6. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Personally, if you're looking for any used truck manufactured with a Post-Emission engine, you're wasting your time, and especially your money.

If you're not planning to run in Commifornia, look for a good Pre-Emission truck or a Glider truck.

Your wallet will thank you later.

7. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Well, it doesn't matter.

I don't buy any more trucks from private owners unless I know the guy/gal. I've had a lot of issues in the past with trucks that were supposed to be taken care of but are junk. I've had more private owners who refused to let a dyno and other inspections take place, only to find out that they didn't want the problems discovered.

Do your due diligence, don't get emotional about any truck, it is a truck.

8. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i personally will not buy a truck, i wish to stay a company driver till i either die or retire. that being said, never buy a repo'd truck.

a private seller may not cooperate with you in some ways.

a dealer may have great used trucks, or junk, but at the very least, if it is a brand he sells (for instance Pete) and he has used petes for sale, maybe, i say maybe you can get a good warranty coverage for that truck. this does not mean that peterbilt dealer does not have say freightliners, that he can provide a warranty to as well.

private sellers provide NO warranty,

auctions you buy "as is", "as seen", no implied warranties

o/p, in the end....what Hurst says:

Flip a coin. There are no guarantees no matter which route you choose.

9. Hogleg

Hogleg Medium Load Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Salem, Illinois
    That dealer truck may be an unknown as well (hell they all are). Our local freightliner dealer regularly sells consignments with no real dealer skin in the game.

bzinger, mhyn and Jestrada0404 Thank this.
  10. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I'd buy from a private seller any day over a used dealer. The dealer will most likely not be able to share any significant history of the truck like an actual owner would be able to.

11. Jestrada0404

Sep 13, 2017
    I saw today a 2011 Mack CX 613 with Mack MDrive 12 spd automatic. It has 456k and its in great conditions. What u guys think about this truck ?? Price is 20k thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.