Audible voicemail notifications

Discussion in 'Cellular - Voice - Data' started by slow.rider, Oct 27, 2017.

1. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I need my stupid phone to make a sound when I have a voicemail. And it needs to make the sound every few minutes, not just once every few weeks. Am I the only person in the world who wants an audio voicemail notification? How can I cause my phone to alert me to voicemail on its own, without me having to pick up the phone and mess around with it? I'm getting dam sick of answering calls from people who say they've been trying to reach me, and only after hanging up with them do I finally get the audio voicemail notification informing me of the four voicemail messages they left me YESTERDAY.

Same thing with texts too. I've gone more than a week without it alerting me that I have a new text, or several. I use a tablet for Internet so I'm not constantly checking my phone. I need it to do something to alert me to a message. Yes I've checked the settings, yes they are on. I need an app or something but they don't seem to exist. WTF.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jmroadhog

jmroadhog Medium Load Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Grand Forks BC
    Maybe the problem is that u have a "stupid" phone. I have a Moto Z and I get audible,visual and vibrating alerts for text,voicemail,e-mail and all work perfectly. I have custom ringtones installed so to have a different ringtone for each. The only app u would need would b a soundboard app that has many different ringtones on it so u can assign them to where ever u want them or make ur own from music files. Maybe time to get a better phone.

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    If you're not getting notified. Then either check your settings or check the phone. 1 of the 2 isn't working right. As for the rest of us. We aren't having any problems. Except for my email app and facebook app.

5. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Might also try looking at the phone screen every once in a while. There will be some sort of visual indicator.

But if you had the volume turned up, I'm pretty confident you're phone told you at least once when a new voice mail came in.

6. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    He could have one of them cheaper phones like the samsung j3.Or whatever the model is on whatever carrier he has. It don't come with a very loud volume and is practically hard to hear inside a truck.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  7. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    As noted previously, I don't want to have to mess with it. I want it to make a sound.

The volume is turned up and the phone is less than three feet from my head. Plus I had to pass a hearing test to get my CDL. I am here with my phone, whereas you, on the other hand, are not. So I'm pretty confident that your confidence is misguided.

8. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    what model phone you have?

9. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Alcatel pixie glory. I did find one app that claims to do what I want but I haven't tried it out yet.

10. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Status update:

Apparently this is an android issue, not the phone. Android only alerts when the message arrives and apparently also sometimes after the phone is used, and there is no way to set it to give periodic alerts. But I just installed an app which claims to do exactly what I want and not much else, and it's now set to give the alert every five minutes instead of one-and-done. Oh and it was much easier to find on play store once I started using "notification" in my search terms, instead of "alert". The app is simply called "missed notification reminders" and was very easy to set up.

11. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    WOOHOO! I just got back from having lunch and within about a minute of me getting in my truck, my phone chirped about an unread text message that was 35 minutes old. I'm smiling now. Victory is at hand.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.