auto shift problems

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 2oooKW, May 13, 2011.

1. 2oooKW

2oooKW Bobtail Member

May 13, 2011
    prentice wi
    no codes and i didnt replace those sensors

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Karnage56

Karnage56 Bobtail Member

Sep 2, 2012
    St. Thomas Ontario
    I'd would change those sensors then. If everything else is pretty much new then I bet one of those maybe the problem, but with no codes hard to tell which one. I've had them go bad before with no codes showing. FYI when changing them, there a pain! There are only plastic and usually end up coming out in many pieces. If you break it off and one half is still stuck in the case, use a large tap and thread it into the sensor and you should be able to pull it out.

4. 2oooKW

2oooKW Bobtail Member

May 13, 2011
    prentice wi
    i will have to try that and everything on top of that tranny is a pain to work on

5. American Driveline

American Driveline Bobtail Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Hi There,

I am new here and this is my first post. I own a gearbox and differential company in South Africa and may be able to offer some advise on the problems you are experiencing.

I have come across this problem before and can point you in the right direction. The flashing "F" without the usual presence of a fault code is related to a current or previous speed sensor failure.

What usually happens is the sensor will crack and eventually break, normally logging a fault code 58.

The magnet in the sensor comes out and lodges between two raised sections of the tone wheel. A new sensor is fitted to rectify the fault and the magnet does not get removed off the tone wheel. This now affects the new sensors ability to give an accurate reading as it is affected by the magnet on the tone wheel.

Attached images show what i am talking about. The magnet is pretty small, but it can pick up a 1" spanner.

Another possibility could be a loose gearbox yoke nut. If the yoke nut is loose, this will allow the tone wheel to spin, as it will no longer be clamped between the output bearing and the yoke. A loose tone wheel will also give incorrect readings for the sensor.

Get the guys to check for those and let me know what they find.

Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Awesome tip!!! Thanks!

7. whitey011

whitey011 Bobtail Member

Nov 13, 2012
    if you are getting good voltage at the trans ecm //try going inside the truck theres aanother harness for the display and i have found to run all my wires directly to the batteries //dieelectric grease on all outside connectors // the ecm has two lead wires directly to the battery look for white/bluish or greenish corrosion give them a pull to see if they are tight

8. Pepe01

Pepe01 Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Hey guys I had issues with my 07 international 9400 2 pedal autoshift. 2nd time already that it reads F and it won't do anything. Deal charged me a fortune to not fix sh#t. Come to find out all I needed was to replace a bad battery! Hope this helps anyone with the same issue. Good luck guys

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  9. Andrey driver

Andrey driver Bobtail Member

Mar 6, 2017
    Have 2008 freighliner with 10 speed autoshift
    Trany stop working on freeway do to electric problem
    When trying to start engine trany wouldn't show neutral on display
    When turn key on start position display light will come on and in 4-7 seconds, instead of show neutral, simply will get dark

10. russtrucker

russtrucker Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Central PA
    Same s*** whats going on with my assign volvo daycab with that junkshift. Its been nearly a year since it was new. Poorly speced truck. Too much tecnology crap installed. had already 9 issues to the auto. Elog will say that im going 111 mph when I am idling to keep my ac running.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.