Auto shift what companies are all auto,in canada

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by bozzie, Feb 11, 2011.

1. bozzie

bozzie Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2010
    anyone know what company is all auto in Ontario....thankx

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Patricksgirl

Patricksgirl Light Load Member

I know H&R used to have some. Personally those trucks have some demons plus when you have auto shifting backing into a door or trailer kingpin is just not as smooth in my own opinion. Less control in the mountains and bad weather also unless you get a really good system.

4. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    You are severly limiting your ability to go elsewhere by doing this. The industry as a whole is NOT embracing auto-shift transmissions as of yet. Learn how to throw gears, it makes you more employable.

5. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    not sure bout all of canada--but some provinces when you test in an auto---that is all you can drive

6. Patricksgirl

I agree it would really limit your possibilities. However as far as I know if you are going to school you have to learn to shift anyway right?

7. mgfg

mgfg Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Not always. Many/some schools are teaching on an auto to simplify things/make training easier.

Canuck brought up an EXCELLENT point also! Ontario law is if you take your road test useing an "auto shift" your license has a restriction that allows you to drive an "auto shift" ONLY!

As an experienced driver I like the restriction BUT for a new driver it's disqualifying if I was doing the hiring!

8. canuck in da truck

canuck in da truck Road Train Member

Aug 6, 2010
    western pa
    i tried to get an auto out of the shop once---i hope it was screwed up,cause about 5 of us tried it and finally the forman got it out and after 10 minutes finally found a forward gear as well---???????not sure cause it drove in like that and drove out like that

9. Iron Flyer

Iron Flyer Light Load Member

May 29, 2010
    BC Canada
    BC is the same way, test in auto and you're limited to it unless you retest on a standard.

10. Patricksgirl

Personally I would not go to a school that taught only that plus the limit on your license would suck right?
    Ya we had an auto all summer long and the thing did nothing but break down with the transmission going off the deep end. Pulled into Winnipeg one night and as we were sitting there debating whether to keep going the transmission made the decision for us. It was POSSESSED!
    I know when I went to school here in South Dakota I wanted to learn to double clutch. When I went for my road test the guy had no clue what I was doing double clutching instead of using just the rpm method...now that worried me lol!

11. Flying Finn

Flying Finn Heavy Load Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Challenger out of Cambridge specs, I think, every one of their new trucks as an auto. They are one of the BFI's and hire many people that most likely should not be driving in the first place. Since they don't have to shift anyone can drive their tractors.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.