Auto vs. Manual Transmission......

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 31N90W, May 17, 2018.

1. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    OK, I got courious, I called the Live Oak Sheriff's Dept., the person that I spoke with said she did not know much about the details of the truck. She suggested that I call KIII-TV 3 in the am. Interesting story, short on details.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    I thought that too, or the "Engine Stop" switch, if so equipted. And, did the driver get cited for using a cell while driving?

4. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    Well, think about it. The key switch does nothing more then send a signal to a chip in today's newest electronic controlled trucks to power up and prepare for "run mode". If a critical chip is fried somewhere, perhaps it would not process the signal to go to "off mode". Nothing in a truck today is mechanical, especially if it has an auto transmission. Everything is controlled via tiny control signals processed through various chips. In my case, there is a battery disconnect switch near the driver's seat on the floor. That's where I'd begin if turning the key off did nothing.

Hell, one day this past winter, I rolled my electric window down on my '18 Cascadia to throw out my gum. It went all the way down, then would not roll up. I tried everything including getting very aggressive with beating the panel and nearly breaking the window control switch. Nothing worked. It was near zero, so I stopped as soon as I could left it running, lifted out the control panel in the door, and it's just 3 tiny wires that pass signals to control no fewer than 8 different functions. Nothing helped there because there was nothing disconnected. Finally shut it off to try and find dealers that might be open on a weekend in the Idaho area and later restarted. It worked fine then.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    rank and KB3MMX Thank this.
  5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Seems to me, the key should cut off all power to every circuit that is not constant hot. That should include the voltage to the injectors.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    All of those laws have provisions for calling emergency numbers.
    Fuel pump as well.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    Another story about Electronics killing people.

So we have autonomous cars... killing people

We had the whole Fiasco with the Toyotas suddenly accelerating... and killing people.

And yes I have seen stories where anti-lock brakes have killed people, especially when they first came out. It probably still happens but you don't hear much about it. Computers can malfunction in all kinds of ways. It's why I T guys have jobs.

All of this stuff is much more common than most people would ever think because you only hear about it under certain circumstances.

It's okay if you like an automatic transmission or if you like a manual transmission...

But it seems silly to take an 80000 pan vehicle and allow the electronics to do so much that they actually can kill people. And the same goes for any vehicle. That's pretty silly.

8. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't know, but I'm pretty sure all of the truck's control power do not run through the key switch, there are relays involved and for a relay to be flipped it must get a secondary signal from somewhere and perhaps the key switch is not the "master" of anything in reality. It merely "talks to a chip"? I don't know, but I have to think the dude tried that first thing.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    And therein lies the whole problem.

The key sends a signal to a chip that sends a signal to something else that sends a signal to something else that control something else, blah blah blah

And everything interfaces with everything else within this complex network of monitoring and controlling all things.

Without even the brains to design the ignition switch itself to just shut everything down.

Like a very wise man once said...

Stupidity prevails

10. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    I don't know but it seems there may be something to this. If so, there should probably be some training to inform drivers what to do in the event things become unresponsive. But I do find it hard to believe engineers have not effectively made the key switch an "eStop" button, but who wants to try and steer a power-steering truck in difficult curves with the engine off? I'm not even sure that can be done, but if you do shut the engine off at speed, what will the automatic transmission do?

That said, Freightliner has made their power steering work and feel the same, even while at 500 rpm idle while in eCoast operation. But I suppose engine off and engine idling are two completely different things as far as steering goes.

rank, KB3MMX and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  11. 31N90W

31N90W Light Load Member

Sep 3, 2013
    If you google "live oak county Texas 18 wheeler hit by lightning" and go to the "kiiitv.com dispatcher helps truck driver" link, you get the full TV report. It has a little more information, and footage of the driver and event, but, it does not answer the questions being asked.

KB3MMX and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.