Auto vs. Manual Transmission......

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 31N90W, May 17, 2018.

1. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    my lawn mowers LOL. collectors items.... literally ancient. 1948 farmall cub with a 60" danco C3 belly mower, 1961 cub cadet original complete with fenders and an excellent condition 38" two blade timed deck. i can mow with either, the farmall is faster.

Oxbow and Dino soar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    When I shift into the top hole, low range, as soon as I clear the gate so the range is interlocked, but before I am in gear, I have already pulled up the paddle for the range. I do it so automatically that I've done it even when I'm not going to upshift.

4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I had to order my truck with one.

Welcome to the wussification of America.

5. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    i really wish my camaro was the T56 but its a 4L60E, one that i just had overhauled and upgraded. better sprags, better frictions, better bands, corvette servo, shift kit, 2200 stall converter..... as far as automatics go, it shifts nice and firm..... its no longer a "slushbox". T56 cars in good shape can bring up to $2k more for the same LT1 car. call me weird if you want but i really enjoy fbodies, in particular V8 fbodies. cheap good fun cars. car has 240K miles, worn out paint and interior but mechanically solid, rebuilt suspension including poly engine mounts. no rust, clean

i have little interest in a new car i enjoy driving it. now if the house didnt need a roof that i am saving $$ for i could do some cosmetics to the car.

you can still have fun with an auto trans car.

6. Boondocker

Boondocker Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2010
    NE Pa
    Next thing they will have driverless trucks, just dopes riding along, the you can say the earth used to have truck drivers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Most semi automatics are manuals that are either air or electrically shifted.

8. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    I researched it and there were 2 court decisions in the early 1980s. 1982 I believe. They were both legal luminaries. I am talking of course about The Manly Handbook" vs "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche". With all the facts before these 2 giants, they decided completely opposite to each other.

First, RMDEQ held that real men are confident in their manliness to allow a machine to shift for them.

However, TMHB recognized that automatics were invented for women, because they couldn't drive manual transmissions, especially a three on the tree, therefore men drove automobiles with manual transmissions, pick up trucks or 454 SS El Caminos.

Now you'll have to decide which court case should be case law.

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  9. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
  10. Bean Jr.

Mar 30, 2014
    Can't decide? Flip a coin!

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  11. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Yeah.

Imma start another of these manual vs auto threads.

We need a few more.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.