Auto vs. Manual Transmission......

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by 31N90W, May 17, 2018.

1. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    While you're at it, start another "I didn't inhale, but I tested positive" thread. There aren't enough of them either.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Agreed.

Funny that you should mention that. I pee'd in a jar yesterday, and not only did I not inhale, but I got the job. Woot! I start Monday.

4. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    F1 cars, the fastest in the world, and Indy cars are both automatics.

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  5. Trucking in Tennessee

Trucking in Tennessee Road Train Member

Mar 19, 2018
    Nashville
    Automatics?

6. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Nope. All manuals. A variety of manuals.

So mebbe ah kin git mah ManCard back!

7. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    Speaking of racing go to YouTube search up worlds fastest gm t56 and you will see a guy that can really grab gears in a highly modded 4th Camaro. ###### skill.

8. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I did as instructed.

Wow. That right there, that is some kinda sick skill!

9. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I know very little about the new junk that's out there. But the Transmissions that I have driven were heavy-duty Allison automatics in semi trucks which are outrageous to repair.

I also drove a fully automated 10 speed which was neither mechanical or air it was a fully automatic transmission that didn't shift worth a crap. You couldn't tell what gear it was in it stumbled on downshift it up shifted at the wrong time it was terrible.

I know there are some roadranger Transmissions that are are made to somewhat shift automatic or semi-automatic but all that does is add more controls add more problems add more electronics add more nonsense to repair.

It's okay that I am a DINO SOAR, but diesel engines only require air fuel and compression and Transmissions only require a clutch & Gears that mesh together.

Anything beyond that is stupidity, nonsense, and just added expense, added problems, and all completely unnecessary and for no reason whatsoever.

Simplicity, dependability, low cost of repairing, AND LESS THINGS TO CAUSE PROBLEMS AND EXPENSE seem to me to be just common sense.

Nothing can compare to the reliability of a mechanical Diesel and a manual transmission. NOTHING.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  10. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Farmall Cub Lo Boy with a Woods mower deck here

11. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    today my i had a conversation with my boss, just talk. i said you dont have as much control with an automatic as you do with a manual and he said im just not used to them. i have to disagree with him sorry, but everyone is allowed to have an opinion. i think its a skill i have learned and i prefer to keep it that way. im keeping the truck that i am driving as long as he doesnt sell it on me, if he put me in an automatic, i would promptly politely ask for a different truck. if he refused i would perhaps seek employment elsewhere. shifting is a skill and i prefer to keep it. i think if you dont use it, you loose it. i have actually gotten pretty good at shifting.

i think an automatic takes control away from the driver, i will decide when the truck is going to shift, especially in bad weather.

rank Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.