Auto Vs Manual

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Thull, Jun 18, 2016.

I Would Rather Pull A Tanker With An..

1. Automatic

16 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. Manual

31 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. easytopleez33

easytopleez33 Light Load Member

Jan 6, 2015
    Well Justin, I worked for a Mail Contractor (Hoovestol) they were going that direction a few years ago. Slowly as they took trucks out of service and replaced with Auto's.
    There's a Reefer outfit out of Rogers, Mn that runall autos.
    I've always ran manuals so it took time to get used to the auto.
    Then there is the Auto Shift, I hated it. I ran a KW 660 with an autoshift. Basically it's an automatic with a Clutch. HATED IT!!
    But, the full autos (no clutch) man they were the best. IMHO!!
    Take Care Buddy

JustinsTrucking Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. JustinsTrucking

JustinsTrucking Bobtail Member

Jan 21, 2018
    Surprise Arizona
    Lol ok thanks...and i bet im sure ill find one soon

4. All-American82

All-American82 Medium Load Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    Oh wow! I don't know companies. I know alot of the bigger companies use alot of automatics. But my GUESS is there's a mix. Manual shift and Autos. I would say that alot of companies big and small will be going to Autos in the FUTURE. I have worked for a medium (?) sized company since 2013 and only had one manual tractor after they bought a new fleet.
    So, I really can't answer that question. But if at all possible, NEVER forget how to shift an actual manual trans. You NEVER know what life brings. And quite honestly, if you REALLY want to make the BIG money, you WON'T do it with a large company!!! And if you can make 100,000+ a year, but have to drive a manual. you better know how. So ALWAYS brush up on your shifting skills!!!

Good luck

5. All-American82

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    Amen to that! We had the full autos,,,,,,,LOVED THEM!!!!

6. JustinsTrucking

Jan 21, 2018
    Surprise Arizona
    Ok thanks alot....i need to get shifting classes but paid all out of my pocket which is not that deep lol. So in the future im sure i would switch over but for now just need to hit the road and learn. But future i would definitely go for the win and be an owner op. Thanks tho good luck to you.

All-American82 Thanks this.
  7. All-American82

Jan 27, 2013
    Rogersville, AL
    FYI, That 100k figure. That's as a COMPANY driver. Not an O/O. Get some experience and I promise, those jobs ARE out there. I was making that after 9 mos. BUT, I networked and made friends and LEARNED as much as possible. And one day I got a call from someone I had met saying,"Hey I know a company! Are you interested?" And I haven't looked back. I haven't made less than 95k in almost 5 years now. AS A COMPANY DRIVER.
    The hardest part in trucking is waiting out the first few months when your working for dirt.
    AND MOST OF ALL, STAY AWAY from the "know-it-alls" who've been driving since 1844 but can't rub 2 dimes together and are CONSTANTLY complaining about "how bad things are!" RUN THE OTHER WAY FAST!!!
    If you learn and stay safe, the money's coming. Seek out the highest paying jobs in your area and someone WILL give you a shot! And the beautiful thing is, the more experience you get and the more versatile you are, the easier it get's to find the plum jobs! And you'll be able to be an O/O with no problems and people will be seeking YOU out!

The best of luck!

8. JustinsTrucking

Jan 21, 2018
    Surprise Arizona
    My guy that was a solid post!!! Thanks alot....that post alone just motivated the hell out of me. If i could id go get on the road right now and grind it out!! Lol thanks alot. But thats the exact direction i want to go in the trucking industry and willing to put the time in and learn as much as i can. Thanks again good luck.

All-American82 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.