Automated vs manual transmissions. Which is better?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Jbrow327, Apr 11, 2021.

1. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Yeah mega #### box fleets can go suck a big fat one. Brainwashed idiots they are.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    We are about the same, I don't even care what kind of truck it is, I will just about always take the best available regardless of what emblem is on its hood or how it shifts. Don't care about duals or super singles, weedburner exhaust or color, never understood people that get so carried away by all that stuff.

Now lets make it interesting. If I were putting my money where my mouth is and actually buying a new truck. (Keep in mind I haven't been in a truck in almost 4 years) I think I would buy a Volvo, 10 speed Eaton, Detroit, dual rears. All the amenities in the back, fridge, microwave, massive mattress, etc. It would also be white, because white reflects heat, and this ex trucker HATES to be hot! Back at ya Moose, money where your mouth is what are you buying?

4. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Buying a truck regardless of how it is equipped sounds too much like work! I'm retired now. I rather take some of that money and go sit on some warm beach and have scantily clad ladies serve me drinks!
    [​IMG]

5. ethos

ethos Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    Good Call!

6. Hazmat Cat

Hazmat Cat Medium Load Member

Oct 18, 2019
    AIT doesn’t exist anymore either. I worked there for years. Glad it’s gone. #### them.

7. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    When I became an O/O in 2018 I tried to order a new KW T680 with a 12 speed and the wait was 8 months. They told me I could get the specs I wanted with an automatic in 6 weeks, so I reluctantly said yes. Since then I've driven over 200,000 miles on it and for the most part love it. Although, I'm generally in manual mode on the highway doing my own shifting while adjusting the jakes, and leave in in auto around town and in traffic. The only time I really hate automatic is when I'm doing a lot of pull ups to get into a tight spot at a dock or a tight parking spot. The auto clutch can overheat and the air pressure can't keep up with all of the gear changes, so I have to stop and rev up the engine to build up pressure again.

8. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH
    To date no auto trans has been built thats is more efficient than a properly operated manual.

The mpg increase is a comparison to a improperly operated manual. Your also a cheaper employee with a auto restriction and stuck. All trucks are designed for fleets to dump at 500k.

Now tell me how great the 65k oil changes are.

With that said. If I didn't own it and was paid per mile. Auto would be my choice. Why would I care?

9. jason6541

jason6541 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    Not to mention fleets order everything sealed that they can. Trucks are lucky if they get greased every 50k miles. Fleet maintained should give you shivers down your spine and run into the night with terrors,

10. meechyaboy

meechyaboy Heavy Load Member

Oct 4, 2018
    Detroit, Michigan
    When I was over the road I preferred a auto most of your is spent going in a straight line. Currently local pulling 6 axle trailers with automatics and it sucks. Especially in Michigan with our Michigan lefts and round about popping up at every intersection. When dropping speed then accelerating again these truck have brain farts computing which gear it should shift too... if you get down to a coast and go to takeoff my truck will scream at 20 rpms and refuses to shift.. even if you press the lever. Another issue I don’t like is how little throttle response you get.. you only have throttle response once the truck is completely done with its shift whenever that is. And these truck have no sense of urgency... it shifts like it’s fully loaded whether it’s fully loaded or bobtail.. You get into some sketchy situations making a Michigan left and traffic is clear 10 seconds out then your truck decides it’s wants to scream and so you left off let it calm down then it shift super slow and you have no throttle until it’s done.. and we’re not even talking about winter.
    For local every day driving I’d rather have a manual it’s a much more pleasant experience for me personally

11. QuietStorm

QuietStorm Heavy Load Member

Dec 11, 2016
    I haven’t found an automatic yet that can shift better than most good drivers. Company spec autos are pretty awful and shift when you don’t want them to, plus they cost too much.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.