Automatic greasing systems

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Bob Dobalina, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Until I worked for Dayton Freight, I had never seen these. Then again, I had always worked for smaller companies with fleets of 3 to 75 trucks. They automatically pump grease to the fifth wheel and all the other grease points on the tractor at a set interval. Fifth wheels never look dry on our trucks, despite some doing 6 or 7 drop/hooks in any given day between city and road. Pretty cool technology.

Are these common in other LTL fleets, or are they just more common among large fleets in general? Just curious. Feel free to chime in with what companies have them if you've worked there.

Buckeye91 and Mike2633 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mike2633

Mike2633 Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2013
    At Home on The West Side
    I think our trucks might have some kind of greasing system our fifth wheels always are covered in grease and so our, are trailer aprons.

4. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    I never saw them until I came over neither. My old company(very large fleet) didnt have them.

Bob Dobalina Thanks this.
  5. Buckeye91

Buckeye91 Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2011
    Midwest, USA
    look for a grease holding tank on your truck, usually behind the cab along the frame, maybe next to the fuel tanks.

6. Bob Dobalina

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I'll try to remember to get some photos.

7. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    image.png
    UPS has been using this brand for roughly 20years. They are very progressive on maintenance and it lubes every thing that doesn't move. It seems like a very good system.

8. Bob Dobalina

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Ours isn't the same brand, but it looks similar. There's also a timer control box on the dash where the interval can be adjusted if it is over- or under-greasing (although the box is hidden on some trucks).

9. Banker

Banker Road Train Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Same as UPS.
    I tried to get it from Pete on my rig but couldn't get it for some unknown reason. I talked with the graco dealer about aftermarket install and they never got back with me. I may put a remote central lube point system on. I still would have to get under it for the driveline so it's not too big a deal either way.

10. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    That's pretty slick. I've never seen an auto greasing system on a truck before. Extremely common on excavators and wheel loaders though.

MACK E-6 Thanks this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I was hoping you'd weigh in on this contraption. If you've never seen one though it must not be too widely used.

Sounds a bit to me like another solution looking for a problem.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.