Automatic transmission only CDL training in Wisconsin?

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by aaronc879, Dec 23, 2018.

1. aaronc879

aaronc879 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I am recovering from a total hip replacement and am being encouraged to pursue a different line of work that doesn't require me to stand and walk on cement 40+ hours per week while lifting thousand of pounds/day. I was thinking about trying to get a CDL but i'm not sure that my leg can withstand using a clutch. Are there CDL schools that train with automatic transmissions only? I am having a hard time finding one online. I live in Wisconsin and would prefer to go to a school here but am open to other options. Thanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Read that Jim Palmer Trucking is now training on autos and stick shifts and is also switching their fleet to autos. Call and ask about that.
    [​IMG]

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Milllis Transfer trains in your state, so call them also.
    Here's from Millis website:
    • Auto shift tractors with ABS braking and traction control
    • Speed governor set at 70 mph when driver meets safety requirements

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    aaronc879 Thanks this.
  5. dptrucker

dptrucker Road Train Member

May 14, 2012
    adelanto,ca.
    Look into prime. Think they just started training in autos this past year

6. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I no longer think avoiding an auto-only CDL is something I would work for. I always suggest you first decide where is a good place for you to work, not just have a list of a few companies that MAY be OK. Whatever company you have the most contact with, and have the most information from current drivers, focus on working there. Then go to whatever school or through whatever process they recommend. If that puts you in a CDL school where you get an auto-only license, get it and go to work. Up until about 2 years ago I would have recommended you put as much effort as necessary to get manual training and avoid the auto-only license. I no longer believe that the manual license is worth much and it's worth less every year. The only exception I would say is if you have a firm desire to work at one particular company and they need manual-qualified drivers.

The manual skills are easy to learn. In about 1-2 months of working with them you are 90% as effective as a 30 year veteran manual driver. ANYONE can pick up the skill with some practice. The downside is that as time goes on you will find it more difficult to find a school you can go to for a quick manual "upgrade" course. If a trucking company really wants you, they can train you and you can use their truck for the CDL road test. Manual is a dying need unless you are in specialized fields, maybe logging, heavy-haul and a few others. It's nice to have,it's not worth much effort to get anymore. IMO.

7. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    If you live in Wisc there really shouldnt be any other option than Millis Transfer. Best pay for students during training and very good equipment with about every amenity needed once in your own truck.

8. aaronc879

aaronc879 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Is millis no-touch? If I go into trucking it will be because I can't lift a lot after my total hip replacement.

9. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Yup been here 3yrs never touched freight. Now you will have to get into the back of your trailer on beer loads and strap it.

10. aaronc879

aaronc879 Bobtail Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I'm 6'6" and not overweight so I think that should be an advantage getting in and out of the trailer.

11. keen98

keen98 Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2014
    Ok ya you should be fine . Where at in Wisconsin are you from? We have a school in Richfield and our main headquarters is in Black River Falls. Being in Wisconsin you'd have the option of being OTR or Regional which would allow you home every weekend. Its $500 for the school out of your pocket. $100 to reserve a spot in class and then $400 on your 1st day of class. School is 3.5weeks long with no pay, and then you will go with a trainer for 15,000 miles which you start getting paid .43cpm for every mile the truck is dispatched on. Doesnt matter if you're driving or if the trainer is you get paid for the miles.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.