Automatic trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by krisjack, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chalupa

chalupa Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Houston,Texas
    I yanked a tank with my Eaton auto shift. Was fine for me. Took off faster than a car mty and out shifted my buds on a pull. Downshift was fine, just selected manual and pushed down on the lever.

Only complaint was precision control and overheating in traffic. It was hard to control say like I need to back up a couple of inches closer and it got hot in traffic.

It through in the towel a couple of times too. Dash was lit up like a x-mas tree and it wouldn't go into gear. Dealer said let it cool off and recycle the key start sequence.

MPG was low too. A stick on the same run got a half mile more per gal. but all in all, an easier day for me and lots more room on the floor. ( no shifter, on column )

Big Duker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I have driven one for 10 months plus now, and I hate it more every day, but it probably has more to do with the 'we won't fix it till it won't run at all mentality than the actual concept.

I drive an Eaton-Fuller 10 speed Ultra-shift, circa 2006 with around 600 k on the clock,

It misses more shifts than I did when I started driving, and the manual is a joke, only thing it positively controls is the upshift, it will still downshift or attempt it even in manual if the computers decide it needs to. Forcing an upshift won't work if it will lug, so starting out in a higher gear than 2nd to get going in slippery conditions isn't happening.

Engaging the clutch isn't smooth enough to keep from spinning the wheels in slippery conditions by carefully feathering the throttle.

Getting across an intersection is dicey, sometimes it takes off immediately and other times it has to contemplate, so I end up applying the brake in a panic because it sat 5 to 10 seconds while doing that.

Rolling up to a light is also troublesome, if the light goes green, discontinuing the brake and hitting the throttle also leads to the misstep that is even more certain of occurring.

Out accelerating a car; that is ridiculous, it won't do it bobtail, let alone weighing 75 k.

It's in the shop for repair, and I hope they get it fixed, BTW I do consider it dangerous from experience. It's not smooth or quick or trouble-free, either.:biggrin_25510:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. NDBADLANDS

NDBADLANDS Medium Load Member

May 8, 2010
    ND
    Let's agree to disagree you sumg SOB!

5. NDBADLANDS

May 8, 2010
    ND
    Smug...I got so mad i couldn't type!

6. NDBADLANDS

May 8, 2010
    ND
    Listen they scare the hell out of me..............everyone says reaction time is everything....they don't react! Now you say they do...for you Great! They (the tranmission scares me) all I am saying. I am a new driver, professionally, and i don't trust them as much as I trust myself to know what gear i need when i need it.

7. Gears

Gears Trucker Forum STAFF - Gone, But Not Forgotten.

Aug 20, 2009
    Like I said... drive a manual for a few years and then autoshift for at least a few months. I'm not trying to sell autoshift to anyone, but don't understand how guys can make statements about manuals vs autos without having experience to back their statements.

striker Thanks this.
  8. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    That's why companies buy auto as well. So when guys like you miss a gear and panic they don't wind up at the bottom of some lake or piled up. Don't discuss what you have no knowledge other than hanger talk of.

9. Passin Thru

Passin Thru Road Train Member

Mar 8, 2007
    VA
    I have an Auto in my 97 F 250 Powerstroke and I love it but wouldnt want one in a Large Car. I had a 15 over with a 500 CAT and you can pick or skip or shift when you decide. They built a new school up the road and a bout 500 dumps went by every day and all you hear is the things shifting up-down-up-down at 40 MPH.

It doesn't work to leap a twenty-foot ditch in two ten-foot jumps.

10. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Auto's are great for newbies who need to drive and don't have the time to really learn how to drive with a manual gear box, or for owners and companies who have gotten sick of replacing gear boxs trashed by inexperienced drivers.

:biggrin_2558:

11. orion3814

orion3814 Medium Load Member

Dec 31, 2008
    tulsa, ok
    dude just take the time to learn a manual unless you have a physical reason for bein auto only if you want to learn manual meet me at a truck stop i will teach you its realllllllly easy and if you say you cant drive stick then dont be a trucker they are the most reliabble out there and when you have it in a gear you know what gear your in not like a auto which keeps you guessing

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.