Automatic trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by krisjack, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I'm not throwing another couple thousand dollars at a school to learn manual. Sorry.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. navyvet1994

navyvet1994 Light Load Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Old Orchard Beach, ME
    which companies run Auto???

4. snowbird_89

snowbird_89 Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I hear automatic trucks are more fuel efficient. Is this true?

5. Flying Dutchman

Flying Dutchman Road Train Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Northern California
    Aint that the sad truth. I am a Ford guy but I can't stand their claim of "Any manual shift lover will never look back once they try our new 6 spd torqueshift auto with manual mode"

Somehow I don't believe it.

6. Big Duker

Big Duker "Don Cheto"

Sep 18, 2007
    Weatherford, TX
    Not really. It all depends on the driver. If you drive sane and shift properly a manual will probably do a little better. Take off like a cowboy and neither will ever get what they should.

7. The Challenger

The Challenger Kinghunter

Dec 22, 2007
    East Central FL
    Not from my experience. I drove a ex trans am truck with a 10spd ultra shift and it sucked. We got from 5.8 to 5.5 on average. Our best was 6.78 with 25K of flowers in the back.

KH

8. Skunk_Truck_2590

Skunk_Truck_2590 Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2007
    Stonewall, LA.
    I finally drove an auto to the full extent last week. International 9400 Cummins ISX. I can't definitly tell the difference between a stick and the auto. I didn't like it and didn't feel comfortable with it because I didn't feel that I had full control of the truck and had to rely on a button pad with a manual shift option which wasn't any better. The take off's are slower, the rpm's tack out higher between shifts and for the love of everything I kept grabbing around for the shifter but instead looking down to see a green back lit control panal. It makes backing a pain in the ###. For a dock that I hit several times a night I can bump it in 5 minues or so depending on my mood and how tired I am because the space is really tight and not much room to work with. Doing it in the auto took me the better of 30 minutes being unsure of what the truck would do when touching to throttle. Would it jerk, would it be a smooth start. Putting it in drive feel's like it wants to take off on you without touching the throttle. Scared me half to death first time I got in it just to unhook it from a trailer I needed. Only upside I see from it is it won't wear out your clutch leg!

9. Abu Sa'eed

Abu Sa'eed Bobtail Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I dont have any shifting experience except for a straight truck{lol}. so an automatic sounds good to me, but I need the shifting experience. But I don't need the BS from a crappy company just for the sake of learning how to drive a manual truck.

10. dd6767

dd6767 Light Load Member

Dec 21, 2007
    New Port Richey, FL
    No thanks.

Giggles the Original Thanks this.
  11. EZ Money

EZ Money Road Train Member

I would take a twin stick any day over these junk automatics....I HATE THEM!!
    Even a super 10 would be better...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.