Automatic trucks

Discussion in 'Trucking Jobs' started by krisjack, Jan 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ionlyhitdatonce

ionlyhitdatonce Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Brock , Tx
    PTL has a fleet of automatics

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. latanea

latanea Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    keep in mind that a new driver cutting his teeth with an automatic really limits his or her ability to change companies in the future...

one of the suprise side effects of developing auto shift trucks was a whole generation of new drivers that could not "shift" and therfore were captives of whatever or whoever had autos...

think about it before you jump on what looks to be the easy way out...

I am medicineman Thanks this.
  4. krisjack

krisjack Light Load Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Leesburg, GA
    Well I was taught in school using 9 speed.I did try a 10 speed once.I took some time getting used to.Until then i never had to shift since all that i drove was automatics.

5. latanea

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    ok.... but you understand my point?

becoming proficient using a manual - up shift and down shift and selecting the proper gear for the proper situation takes a few years to master (maybe less if you have manual car tranny experience).

just keep your skills honed and make yourself as marketable as possible

))) no limitations (((

I am medicineman Thanks this.
  6. ionlyhitdatonce

ionlyhitdatonce Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Brock , Tx

that point alone shold make you want to learn manual shift

7. latanea

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    To be honest - I thought I was pretty good at shifting...

then when I came to Roadway I really REALLY became good:biggrin_25523:

you see - we drive a different truck every night...

we have an equal number of 8 - 9 - 10 speeds as well as a few straight (no spliter) 7's and even a few hotdog 9's - about a year ago I brought a an old truck up out of bowling green that had a twin stick!

the spliter was on the dash... you started with both sticks to the left and up...

you used the stick closest to you for 1-4 clutched / then hit the spliter - grabbed the second stick and went 5-8...

really freaky - and about 40 years old!

jumping into an unknown truck really has improved my overal driving...

I do much more thurough pre trips and take the time to notice details about controls and the differences

ohhhhh - and lest I forget.... we also have about 8 different types of motors....

ve-11's small cats detroit s-60 series 1's and 2's cummin n-14's mercedes - ve-12's with emission burn off units - old mechanical cats etc etc

each has a different sweet spot and power band...:biggrin_25524:

8. xr7conv

xr7conv Light Load Member

I guess that would give you a ton of practice.

9. latanea

Sep 21, 2007
    cincinnati (sharonville)
    yeah - if nothing else - it r:biggrin_25524:eally builds confidence

10. xXDarthVaderXx

xXDarthVaderXx Light Load Member

May 17, 2007
    Atlanta, Georgia
    My first experience with an automatic was embarrassing. The truck was a brand spanking new 2007 Mack Daycab. It had about 25 miles on it. Before this truck I have never seen an automatic. I get into the truck. It was very nice inside, almost too nice. It had a woodgrain dash, cd player, all the bells and whistles. It had switches that we didn't know what they were for. My boss said lets take her for a spin. Now I' am excited! Me with my idiot self reached down for the shifter that was not there! I slamed my left foot on the floor at the same time(to make sure it was in nuetral, LOL). The shifter if you wanna call it that, was a keypad on the dashboard. It had D/N/R and two arrows one pointing up and one pointing down. I had no clue at the time what that was. My boss is laughing his butt off because I cant figure out how to get this truck to move. I reved up the engine, released the brake, LOL. After about 2 mins I figured it out. I immediantly told him after I drove the truck, you put me in am automatic, I'm quittin! Boooooring. I could have driven that truck, with no class A training. Plus, the truck was too quiet, I felt like I was driving an unleaded truck.
    :biggrin_25513:

11. Intheoutfeild

Intheoutfeild Light Load Member

Dec 15, 2007
    out there
    They like automatics becouse the launch is easier on the drive train.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.