Automatic vs manual transmissions

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by #wishfulthinking, Jun 28, 2018.

1. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa
    I've been out here trucking for almost 30 years and have always driven manual transmissions. I know that automatics are becoming more prevalent every day and I know my day is coming when I will have to drive one. I've managed to avoid it this long, but now the company I work for is offering me a brand new 2019 truck to replace my high mileage 2013 truck. It's an automatic. I've been looking forward to getting a new ride, but I'm leery of the automatics, especially in winter weather driving. Any tips/tricks from drivers who have already made the transition that could help me make the transition to automatic?

x1Heavy, Wargames and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    They just auto shift, the trans is still the manual setup with a silly computer that controls everything. Most have a manual control where it will stay in that gear. For crowded city driving, them auto shifts are a blessing on that left leg.

4. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    It REALLY all depends on how they have the tranny speced, some companies put restrictions on them that can make them a PITA, If they haven't put stupid shift points and and other hoops to jump through on it you will find it a joy to use,,,, either way, and I can't stress this enough, READ YOUR MANUAL!!! So many people out here giving bad advice on auto's but yet couldn't find low reverse if they had to,,,,,,,,,

5. #wishfulthinking

#wishfulthinking Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2018
    Central Iowa

I have EVERY intention of reading the manuals. I also wanted to hear from drivers who have already made the switch to hear what their experiences have been. Thank you for your feedback.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  6. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Also I do know that some of these new truck have early warning collision software that every time somebody cuts in front of you your truck will automatically slow down, I haven't driven one but have been told it's a pain?

7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    The DT-12 stands for Death Trap 12 speed. You come up to a stop light in 8th gear, then when the light changes it might decide to downshift into first. It really sucks how the ones my company has are programmed. Sometimes it will take off from a stop and then just glitch out. Nice to be looking left and right hoping to not get T boned while you coast to the shoulder at 3 mph.

rank, chacha and KANSAS TRANSIT Thank this.
  8. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Question, do you run jakes on all the time and what happens if you come to the stop slower, will it down shift better?

shogun Thanks this.
  9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I do have somewhat limited time in the DT12, but I don't use the jake past stage two because stage 3 hits 2K rpm which I hate. Almost put you into the windshield. I try to start slowing down ahead of time letting gravity slow me but it seems like it just stayed in 8th gear until you took off again. It does have the manual mode I could use to override it.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  10. KANSAS TRANSIT

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

I know that on our Ultra shifts, (and these are KNOWN to hang in gear) I have had better luck slowing early rolling to the stop and blimp-ping the throttle just like I was down shifting a manual, with jakes on middle stage if loaded, 1st stage if empty, it has made a big difference?

rank and shogun Thank this.
  11. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    DT12 behind a Detroit is fantastic. (South Central US and Great Plains; W of IH35).

If you haven’t driven one then you HAVE NOT driven the real thing (Eaton Ultra-Shift is a clunker).

Easiest driving I’ve ever done (21-years). I pull smoothbore and came out of a 2017 T-880 18-speed.

I’ve reached for the shifter twice in 74,000 miles. (Freightliner new from factory in January)

One has to educate the right foot. And one has to make allowances for backing. Once familiar, it’s as smooth as glass.

It’s slow off the line. At first. It eventually learns, and gets better

Don’t push it. Work with it. If you want a change, drop off accelerator and re-engage. It’ll notice and act. (I sure as hell don’t mean heavy throttle, but how to finesse).

Example: I can be in E parameter and needing to turn and climb a rail viaduct. I tap for P and just need to barely drop off throttle to set new parameter.

Load slosh is the smoothbore problem. Coming into a scale I’ll start slowing a couple miles out (from 70). Engage #3 max brake and let it take me down to 55. I’ll tap up for #2 and glide on down as required. The downshift parameters change with the program. It’s not linear the relation from 1-3. #3 is awesome. (I’m always at or above 80,000).

Only using service brakes the last section (long before Scale stop point). And have it ease onto scale
    It’s much easier to control slosh.

Had the Oklahoma scale at Erick get on the PA and congratulate me for a still load recently. They wished others could do it.

On a slower highway I’ll use #3EB to come to 35-mph. Under which it is way too powerful and hard in downshifting.

As above, and in general, the service brakes don’t get used more than with manual EXCEPT around town. But with triple axle disc, so what? I can use my big toe for some beginning some braking events.

But, to get started, just ease along. It’s faster than plenty of contemporary manuals. Bobtail I can whip almost anyone. So you don’t need to push on it. It’s different. And it’s F’n genius programming. Just work at being smooth, and you’ll see.

Smooth = least amount of inputs and their duration.

And if you’re scared of breaking it (I was, and am) IMO, you’re on the right track.

Now, the nanny-crap is irritating:

1). I turn off the lane departure and E-coast features at startup.

2). I use the Performance versus Economy settings (shifter stalk). I’ve learned to predict when it’ll back into its E setting, and just tap the stalk.

3). The Adaptive Cruise is more complicated. It’s for the stupid people. The radar will start to reduce engine “wliingness” about 500’ feet out. Won’t slow. At under 400’ it will slow and will go into tractor beam mode. Maintains distance.

4). If the vehicle ahead slows it will start its dance of deceleration. It’s impressive. Engine brake, engine fuel and trans gear changes.

You can override it with right foot, but be ###### careful about bad habits.

You run this tractor with fingertips. Cruise always on. EB ready to be engaged. Hand/eye, not hand/eye/foot ( in a manner of speaking)

The one’s who won’t like it are the mouth-breathers who never found a traffic pile-up a thing to avoid. Full steam ahead and right into it. In other words, the ones who are lousy drivers at present. Tailgate you (under 100’) around anyone slower. The perpetually stoopid.

Maintain the space (pull out to pass at 300’ or more) and stay 600’ behind the next guy. (Next question)

And back off as conditions (traffic volume) dictate.

Don’t be fooled by where I run at present. No, I haven’t run THIS tractor in snowy Pennsylvania, but given how bad northern drivers can be, I ain’t impressed by what I’ve seen. All 48, where locals and regionals are OFTEN the worst drivers. Childish lack of respect. (Don’t get me started about Dirt Drivers). Come on down and drive iced-over roads. Or back into oilfield.

OP, this is a Penske spec tractor. Basically a rental.

Yeah, I read the manual and experimented with manual shifting. Gave it up. You’ll never be close to equal, much less better. Save that for off pavement.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.