Automatics?

Discussion in 'Schneider' started by TexasPhoenix, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I think the autoshift vs manual thing and people acting like your not real driver if you get an autoshift is funny. Because I bet everyone has power steering, you know back not that long ago real truckers did not need power steering.

Before that air ride was not need, even a/c at one time was something real drivers did not have. I'm just saying it technology and why not take advantage of it. Just like a/c, power steering, and air ride. I'm enjoying my autoshift.

I also have disc brakes and enjoy not having to check slack adjusters. Disc brakes are something they tried in the past and didn't work. More technology today and are working great and much better then drum brakes. Disc brakes are so much better then drum brakes and you never have to worry about slack adjusters not working.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Been driving since 1987. Since my left knee surgery, I'm loving my autoshift Freightliner. Do I know how to use a clutch? Yes, but I like not having as much knee pain at the end of my day.

4. slim6596

slim6596 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2015
    My first tractor was a 1986 Volvo N12, no air ride suspension or driver seat, no a/c daycab. With both windows open, floor vents and "sun roof" open, driving top speed (governed at 60mph) on a 90 degree day, it would be between 120-130 in the cab.

I named the truck Shake-N-Bake.

5. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    my first trip out in an sni detroit auto sold me as soon as I hit indy rush hour and an accident ahead.

I can do without the left leg clutch press for hours on end.

6. slickWillie1980

slickWillie1980 Medium Load Member

Sep 2, 2015
    Mt Olive, NC
    Are the disc brakes like the ones on your pickup or are they different in construction?

7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

I just think it makes a driver to relaxed
    Started in 1977. Yea I am getting close to 60. Will still hopefully be driving a stick then.
    I've been in junk trks and nice trks, but no auto and no desire. To each their own

Diesel Dave and johndeere4020 Thank this.
  8. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    They are the same, just bigger. That what is nice about them. Their is no driver adjustable parts. Their is almost no D.O.T inspection on them. You can check for rust then you would know they are not working you can check the pad thickness. Their are no driver adjustable parts on them.

slickWillie1980 Thanks this.
  9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    The EATON auto shift will work just behind a volvo, detroit, Cummings. and was used behind cats also

10. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm currently in a 2017 Cascadia, DD13 and D12. I never ridiculed anyone for liking an automatic tranny, but I did swear up and down that I would never like one. I'll tell you what, I'm really enjoying having mine now, especially on the days that I have to deal with heavy traffic (thankfully those days are rare anymore). As far as it making a driver too relaxed, I prefer to think of it as ending my day less fatigued. Not that shifting is hard work, but every aspect of driving, while not neccessarily being hard to do on its own, is still a fatigue factor when you combine everything together. If I can reduce or eliminate one activity while driving, that's more time and energy I have to focus on the myriad of other things I can be focusing my attention on.

11. JOHNQPUBLIC

JOHNQPUBLIC Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Central New York
    I was about to reply exactly what you did. I get so tired of reading about how you are just a "steering wheel holder" or "not a real truck driver" or whatever negative comment if you drive an automatic truck. I drive an automatic truck and can assure you I do not have any insecurity issues because of it.

My father started driving truck in the 1950's, retiring in 1992. He passed away a few years ago. I recall conversations with him about trucks and driving for many years of his career. Based on his experiences and the equipment he had to drive then during much of his career none of you are "real truck drivers" either just because you are shifting gears in the modern trucks we drive today. In fact if he were to drive a modern truck of today and some driver told him they are a "real trucker" just because they shift the gears he'd probably laugh himself to tears.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.