Autoshift Or Ultrashift?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by OkievilleTrucker, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mountain Hummingbird

Mountain Hummingbird Medium Load Member

Oct 14, 2012
    Well what do you want to wager on that little ditty ? I have been driving a long time now, my safety record speaks for itself. I have driven every type of transmission you can think of and most likely some which you have never even heard of. I currently have a 18 speed electronic shift with clutch. I shift it in the same manner I do a regular stick 18 speed. Only difference is if I want I can select auto shift and concentrate on other things. You want to put your vast knowledge to the test explain to all of those interested why you think you need a stick to control a truck ? When you are done I will prove you wrong on every point you make.

azcardnlz Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigJim1937

BigJim1937 Medium Load Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Fargo,ND
    Why dont you just give up, you have the foggiest clue, they all use a manual gearbox, the difference is in the shifter package mounted on top. tell the audience where you put your Dextron in your so called automatics, then tell them why they need a clutch plate, automatics use a torque converter. My wife knows more about these transmissions than you do. The clutches are either electronic actuator controlled or centrifical like a snow machine. Stop talking if you dont have the foggiest clue what you are talking about you will just be confusing the young drivers.

4. sdlm

sdlm Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Yes, afaik the only true automatics used in trucks are Allison Automatics, these generally have a true torque converter rather than a clutch. I don't see them in semi trucks too often, but plenty of dump trucks and buses have them.

5. PeteSalesGuy

PeteSalesGuy Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Buffalo, NY
    Eaton has announced that the "Autoshift" (unit with clutch pedal for starting) will be discontinued December 31, 2012 and the Ultrashift Plus (no clutch pedal) will continue as the sole product line of automated manuals from Eaton Corp.

I recently put a 13 speed Ultrashift Plus LAS into service with a building products company for their dedicated run dragging a 53' van....the driver LOVES the trans and has gotten very good at backing as well manual control of the gears for some situations.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  6. bigtire

bigtire Light Load Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Schneider is selling some 2006-2007 Century's with Ultrashift, is this first generation? I called them last week, the sales person was helpless, don’t know if the truck has a 12.7L or 14L and nothing about the transmission.

How to tell by looking at one, if it is an Ultrashift Plus or 1[SUP]st[/SUP] generation?

7. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    We run ALL Ultrashifts, had ALL Freedomlines before that, and ALL Autoshits before that. We average 750,000 on a clutch and have not had a single drive line failure since going ATM's over 10 years ago. Our service brakes also last longer and if honest, none of my drivers would ever go back to the "stick" days.

You know what the BIGGEST problem with the ATM's are? DRIVERS THAT THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL AND DON'T READ THE OWNERS MANUAL!!!

sdlm, azcardnlz and striker Thank this.
  8. sdlm

sdlm Light Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Lol what is "clutch abuse" darn it computer start me in 7th gear!

FWIW I prefer autos of any stripe to sticks, it here I am with a ten speed sadly.

KANSAS TRANSIT Thanks this.
  9. Sportster2000

Sportster2000 Road Train Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Indiana
    For me the only way if you have to look at it is to get under the truck and look at the transmission. If it is an Ultrashift Plus you will see a 7-8 inch round electric motor that will be in place where the clutch fork should be. If they let you drive it then the Ultrashift truck will take off with a jerk because it is a centrifugal clutch. The Ultrashift Plus is a standard clutch that is controlled by an electric motor. Someone else here may be able to tell you a better way but this is the one for sure way that I know how to tell them apart.

10. striker

striker Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Denver, Co
    Got bored in the other thread huh?

hmm, haven't I been saying this all along? yep, as have others, thanks for reposting my comments.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.