autoshift transmission

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by 6wheeler, Sep 20, 2013.

1. believe456

believe456 Light Load Member

Apr 22, 2015
    So basically I should run from this auto shift in a 06 Volvo with cummins motor. They replaced wires harness xy shifter and a lot of other things

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The one auto I was assigned to was a 2001 century, 16 miles or so on the odo new. Rockwell, Meritor Transmission with a paddle on steering column for mountain work (Picking a gear etc) Otherwise that auto did well.

The only flaw was we were a husband wife team, we never shut off engine, not even for 10 minutes at any time that year. Eventually the software in that auto filled up, unable to shut off and literally flush the buffer 30 minutes every week. Then bricks just like a blue screened windows computer.

Destroyed the JIT appt, whistle up a tow truck twice to come get it. EXPENSIVE. For that time.

Solution? That pile of laundry was a clue to our VP whose birthday bash was ruined by our second time bricked auto. That kind of fault is very easy to diagnose right there in the messages from Engine Computer on the dash...

Dispatch was told to back off us and give us one day to do nothing at all if that was what we wished provided that tractor was SHUT OFF at least one hour. We were free to catch up on dinners, dating or whatever. Especially laundry.

If you added a third drive axle under there, extended the sleeper 8 feet back and change, beefed up the APU to provide big house power to 240 volts and around 60 amps... you can have a samsung set of front loading laundry washer and dryer back there with a third tank for water storage. You only draw about 9 to 15 gallons to wash each time as you go down the road. It wont work with a 80K standard gross weight, but if it is ever raised to 100K that will work very well. Water can be raised to the sleeper level from frame by side air from your air compressor at 100 pounds pressure. 100 gallons of water under there. Potable and drinkable too.

Our laundry room was about the size of that full centry sleeper in our previous house. It would also not be a problem to have a one person shower in that other corner. Thus no more truckstop needed eh?

That auto never bricked again the rest of the year. Dispatch had a real hard time until they brought in about three more H/W teams with autos (Which really made shifting a non issue for either or both) making training less complicated at that time. And when they did, it became easier to take care of the problems within the company (FFE at that time)

I myself will die with a manual in hand preferably a 13 speed double under with a big horse up front. (Condrundum eh?) But the last time that tractor got loose on ice and tried to jackknife into the trailer with wife driving (Her first... actual no *&^% wreck that will happen in about oh 4 seconds if I did not solve the problem...) that auto kept power and changed as necessary for us to recover what I think was essentially unrecoverable. We were 9 trucks together, us were 1, two got through but three through 7 all piled into the canyon median. Wrecked.

It's a mess. But it is what it was. That ice and snow wasnt much. Maybe a half inch and snow about a inch. Nothing at all. But enough to slide in that shade and sun upgrade.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.