autoshift will not go into any gears no error code, just flashes

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TowHaul, Oct 17, 2017.

1. TowHaul

TowHaul Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2016
    My eaton fuller autoshift suddenly will not go into any gears in my driveway, just shows down arrows and R or 2(flashing) when I try to go into any gear. When i have the truck off and turn key to start position and try to shift gears i can hear the transmission shifting successfully, however once the engine is running it will not shift gears. There are no service lights or error codes being displayed. I called Eaton and they told me its either the clutch brake worn out, bent linkage, or a bad transmission. I'm skeptical, i had the truck moving in my driveway just the other day so i dont understand how the clutch brake got bad from sitting overnight. I ordered a speed (RPM) sensor ...doubt that will help. I also disconnected power to the shifter but that does not seem to have corrected the problem. Again I can hear it going into gear when the truck is not running so that must mean something...also the lack of error codes/service light.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Check your brakes? Just kidding. Honestly, you need to get a computer on that thing. Maybe call a local dealer and see if they will bring the laptop out, maybe after hours. You can throw parts at that thing all day and night and never get her to move. Just saying.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  4. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    Not sure a tech will come out to my house and bring computer, probably expensive. Eaton tech said its the clutch brake. A buddy is a road tech said he can swap the brake out for $300... i agree dont want to throw parts at the problem, but also not sure a tech with a computer can diagnose exact problem

5. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    If it's the clutch brake you can swap it out yourself, as it should be no different than a manual transmission clutch brake.

6. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    "If it's the clutch brake you can swap it out yourself, as it should be no different than a manual transmission clutch brake."

i guess the clutch brake would need to be torched off, something i'm not comfortable doing myself.

On another note i just wasted a few hours picking up a speed sensor that did nothing to fix my problem. Also asked the nearby international dealer, tech can come out for a few hundred dollars, said either entire clutch needs to be replaced or the xy shifter, but he was just guessing. The #### thing literally was working yesterday, i just moved the truck a few feet.... What else can i try? or test. The tech told me to see if the clutch brake plate was spinning or stopped when the clutch was engaged and trying to get in gear. going to be fun to try by myself....#deathsentence

7. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I been through this and finding some one who has worked on this is tuff. I know the dealers just change out all the parts.
    What generation Auto shift have you got ?
    The computers and wiring are the same regardless of make or model of truck.
    Check all your grounds and battery wiring
    I started the cheapest stuff first
    changed sensors
    changed out wiring harnesses
    Changed out computer

How many miles on truck ?
    Has it been wet ?
    Any flashing service light ?
    Fall out of gear or not want to shift ?

TowHaul Thanks this.
  8. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    i was told its a gen 3 autoshift
    how and where can i check my grounds? I would definitely like to do this first thing tomorrow, the mechanic also mentioned doing this but not sure where to find the grounds.
    i changed the speed/rpm sensor, what next?
    1.6 MILLION miles on truck
    not sure what you mean by wet.
    no flashing service lights
    it does not fall out to gear, it just does not want to shift from Neutral into any gear.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    Jazz1 Thanks this.
  9. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Had same issue with similar company truck from new. Don't know what the remedy was but the symptoms were same. Earned many hours waiting time and numerous tows.
    Good Luck

10. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    IMO and from most owners that have had this transmission and earlier ones, they are garbage.

You can throw parts at it and it will work fine for awhile, but they have always been a PIA.

Most owners wind up converting them back into a manual transmission, as they are too unreliable and glitchy.

For the price of trying to diagnose the problem by throwing a xy shifter, new clutch, new tcm, labor etc. you're already invested half towards a manual transmission conversion.

11. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    anyway of testing the xy shifter and clutch brake to rule them out? Also how do i test the ground? The xy sounds like it is working when i put key in start position and select different gears

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.