autoshift will not go into any gears no error code, just flashes

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by TowHaul, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    I recall a solenoid on top of transmission could fail or be stubborn. Common to tap with hammer to engage.

TowHaul Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    just disconnect the negative battery cable for about 5 full minutes. reconnect, and see what happens. then make sure to check the tightness of all the battery cables as well.

4. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    Checking the grounds... Start at the battery box and work out on each cable, + and -. Chase them all, you are looking for corrosion, oxidation and bare copper. If you have bare copper on any of those cables and or grounds, you more than likely will have to replace that entire cable. Clean the connections as you go. On the grounds, you should have one going from the starter to the frame, fifth wheel to the frame, and possibly one from the transmission. Automatics are something I avoid, for the very reason you are here. Also, replace any related fuses, even if they look good, replace them. Same with any relays. See if you can get a wiring schematic of your particular truck model. I have an 08 ProStar and use the electrical schematics at least once a month to test and or diagnose issues.

5. bavarian

bavarian Heavy Load Member

Feb 13, 2014
    Winnipeg
    I agree to check the wiring.

But did you try to reset the ECM for the transmission?
    Start the truck and build up air till full. Shut down the truck and cycle the key 6 times on and off. Then leave it off and wait. It could take up to 20 minutes but at some point you should hear the transmission start to shift.

TowHaul Thanks this.
  6. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    As stated above the grounds need to be traced down and cleaned their were 6 on my pete.

7. FLHT

FLHT Road Train Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Their are I believe 6 sensors on the truck with 1.6 on the clock its time to change them
    Its hard to tell but that computers may be getting water inside it when it rains.
    Their should be a red service light on the shifter that will give you a blink code.
    Has the truck ever been going along and feels like the key was quickly turned on and off ?
    Google Eaton Auto shift 3d generation and read.
    Where are you located ?

8. TowHaul

TowHaul Medium Load Member

Mar 7, 2016
    i put a 1/2 extention inbetween the brake and bearing(?) and there is free play . I also dangerously tested the clutch brake by chocking the wheels, setting the parking brake, and i started the truck tried putting it into gear, i wedged a board on the clutch, and then jumped out of the truck (after several minutes of it not engaging) crawled under the truck and looked at the clutch brake. It was NOT stopped it was spinning and it looked not to be fully engaged or touching (loose) the bearing side. I have taken pictures that i attached here of my measurment, of the clutch brake pad (damaged?..worn?) and what i think might be the adjustment screw (no clue what goes in there if it is). Any help would be really appreciated.

Attached Files:

9. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    Have you released your brakes and tried putting it in gear or rolling the truck back a bit, sometimes they can get into a gear bind.

10. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    speaking to eaton now, they feel a clutch adjustment might fix the issue, that or....AN ENTIRELY NEW CLUTCH... based on my picture i'm not sure how to do the adjustment, i've watched youtube videos but none look like what i think is the adjustment screw shown in my last picture

11. TowHaul

Mar 7, 2016
    I have tried releasing my brakes and putting into gear, no go. I have not tried rolling the truck back.. i am on a hill and cannot move the truck backwards without help from a friend but i like that idea and would like to try it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.