Auxiliary Power Units - 2016

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by lawsonott, Oct 26, 2016.

best APU?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2016.
  1. carrier

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. parksmart (or similar)

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. tripac

14 vote(s)
    73.7%
  4. comfort master

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. rig master

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. storm power systems

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. other

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. none

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  1. lawsonott

lawsonott Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    [​IMG]
    ok, so it's 2016, almost 2017 and lots of rigs are sans-apu.
    surely technology has gotten better for truck APUs... right?
    others are using over priced lawnmower engines burning fuel.
    what is TTR's recommended APU that should be the industry standard?
    what's your favorite and how does it compare to others you've used?

me: i love the parksmart system in the cascadia. 4 extra batteries keep the sleeper an nice 68-72° F all night long and then some. they are charged while driving. so as long as we are not sitting for days, we can keep comfortable and idle times low. which is great for the fuel bonus programs. i like that is has built-in inverter for A/C gear. i would run my laptop (75 watts), a regular full size home coffee maker, and could probably have run a mini fridge all while the climate stayed nice inside the cab.
    compared to the carrier and tripac, it's the best ever.
    carrier was crap and never worked right, tripac died midway through the night and wouldn't start when needed most (-25° F +40 mph winds December 2007, Wyoming) luckily Prime had Webasto heater in the truck, which i turned up too high and almost cooked myself in my sleep.

more info about APUs:
    http://us.bergstrominc.com/nite-oe-systems/

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lawsonott

lawsonott Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    heard tale of a solar powered APU by another driver at the petro in new paris, ohio. don't remember what he called it though.

4. arrogant steve

arrogant steve Medium Load Member

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    I've got a comfort pro on my cascadia and it's been great. This unit only has 1100 hrs on it so I'll see soon enough if it will last. I really believe it will do well with proper maintenance. No one I know has anything good to say about this unit so I may be alone here. Had a TK on a previous truck and that thing never failed me. Probably my only gripe about the Carrier is that it sounds like a go cart engine running wide open as the TK sounds like same go cart at idle.

5. lawsonott

lawsonott Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    parksmart is 100% silent as a unit.
    A/C full blast, all you hear is that icy air flowing.

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
  7. arrogant steve

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
    You are right sir about that Honda generator as it is efficient and quiet. I've seen them rigged up on trucks before, usually running a window A/C. I have always been curious about the battery powered apu's as I have seen them on many Pro stars and wondered if they could actually work running A/C. Very interested in quiet.

8. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    [​IMG]

It is very quiet. I can not hear it from inside the sleeper. No idea that its running except for the fact that everything it powers is on an operating.

On econo-mode it will power AC or heat, fridge, microwave, computer, 42" TV, Satellite dish, hotplate or forman grill,.. 15 - 18 hrs continuous. All elevations from Fla to the Rockies,.. all temps from triple digits in Phoenix to sub zero in Williston. Been running mine for over 2 yrs now,.. not one single problem.

The only down side is the need for gasoline instead of diesel. Its hush hush quiet compared to the lawn tractor noise of most diesel APU's. I cant stand the noise from them.

There are so many different ways to utilize it also. Use it as a charger for a battery APU for extended usage, or as a power source for your home away from home creature comforts as I do with mine.

Costs much much less than an APU and from what little I have read and heard from people who went the APU route,.. the Honda is much more reliable. New warranty and if it ever needs service,.. there are thousands of RV and cycle shops that are certified service centers for these things. Much more convenient than an APU in that regard.

Hurst

9. arrogant steve

Mar 31, 2016
    East Texas
  10. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    I just got a 2017 cascade, no APU. It back to the Detroit Optimized Idle system. Truck has Espar bunk heater, then for A/C and battery charging and oil temp. The Detroit Optimized Idle will start the truck engine and idle at 900 RPMs. They claim when the DPF is full from idling, it will do a parked regeneration automatically. It kinda interesting to see the new emission truck with Detroit Optimized Idle. I had it on S60. If the system can do a parked regeneration automatically like they claim that's pretty impressive

11. lawsonott

lawsonott Bobtail Member

May 3, 2013
    hated parked regen. it would wake me up in the middle of my 10. prevent me from taking off from a 30. too loud and no control of timing. sucked.
    hope they fixed these issues in the 2017. but i doubt it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.