Auxiliary transmission for heavy haul?

Discussion in 'Heavy Haul Trucking Forum' started by S & W, Jul 13, 2022.

1. truckdad

truckdad Road Train Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Penn Valley, CA
    I ran 2 speed rears. 5:32/3:90. 18 speed. I can’t imagine needing anything lower or higher than that for general HH.

stwik, FerrissWheel, Coffey and 7 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Razororange

Razororange Road Train Member

Dec 20, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI
    My last truck had an Allison 4700RDS and 4.10 rears and it pulled 215,000 no problem even out west. Never found a hill it couldn't start rolling up from a dead stop.

Now I have a Detroit DT12 VX with 3.73 rears and so far I've done up to 150,000 with it. Same deal no problem even over the rockies.

Unless trying to get something like a maxed out 13Axle moving up a 10%+ grade I just don't see a place where I could have ever needed more reduction.

My buddy pulls a 13 Axle with the 4700RDS and 4.30s and he has no issues.

I've always run out of traction long before running out of power or gears.

I do about 99% highway and paved ground work though so maybe there's more to it for offroad applications that I just don't have the experience with.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
  4. Rontonio

Rontonio Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2009
    I do have experience with a 22918b and a spicer 4 spd air shift aux. I loved mine and almost no issues with it. You can shift them both up and down while moving - the truck is not to also try and shift the main box at the same time. You will be stopping to re “ sync” everything.

the overdrive gear is where you will get into trouble if you try to use it under load. Bad things happen.

the fat30 cannot be shifted while in motion up or down but is super strong and allows the high torque 2050 or more versus the spicer you are not supposed to run more than 1850.

my current truck is an Allison 4700 Rds with a spicer 4 spd behind it. This combination is not ideal as you lose the shift on the fly capability for the most part. You can do it but under limited situations and definitely not while climbing a grade.

5. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    Thanks Ron.

6. Landincoldfire

Landincoldfire Heavy Load Member

Sep 27, 2015
    New Holland, Pa
    I have an 18 with the 4sp air shift. Never run loaded in 4th (overdrive) as well.

I like it most for backing up super slow. Although we have some interesting hills in the Ohio valley that it comes in handy for.

7. S & W

S & W Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2022
    I was told 2 speed can’t be shifted while the truck is in motion if so I wouldn’t want that

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    FerrissWheel and cke Thank this.
  8. S & W

S & W Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2022
    What’s the difference between manual and air shift? Any benefits in choosing one vs the other

9. S & W

S & W Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2022
    So u can’t manually shift the auxiliary up even with a 3-4sp ? Is an air shif auxiliary better than a manual?

10. S & W

S & W Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2022
    I have 2 spd rears in one of my trucks now it’s decent as far as ratio goes but u cannot have full lockers if u have 2 spd rears and because of that I would prefer an auxiliary.

11. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Light Load Member

Jul 15, 2022
    But you can get no spin(limited slip). I run 3.90/5.30 two speeds. Honestly a straight 3.90 would fulfill all my needs. It can be shifted up/down whenever you want. They don’t recommend down shifting on a down grade. For the same reasons the transmission manufacturers don’t suggest it.

FerrissWheel and S & W Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.