Average pay

Discussion in 'Waste Removal and Garbage Truck Driver Forum' started by Mach, Dec 24, 2017.

1. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    So whats the average pay you guys are earning around roll off business. Im sure my pay is #### but I'd like to get a feel for how ####.

I work in a small company with 2 drivers and my boss. We mostly run non CDL 5 ton trucks delivering 10,15, and 20 yard hook lift dumpsters or 10, 15, 20, 26 yard trailers. We also have a mack truck that delivers 30 yard cable style dumpsters. We also do demolition and house hold clean outs. we get a clean out job maybe 4 times a month (last one was a clean out of a fire damage house) and then maybe 1 or 2 major demo jobs like tearing down a house or so.

most of the time im out doing deliveries and pickups, but if we are busy with a clean out or demo, I will usually help with that or run loads while the newer driver dose the deliveries.

Ive worked for this company for a little over 3 years now and Im paid a flat 16hr. I do not get benefits, health insurance, or 401k plans. I work 40-50 hour weeks in the summer and only about 30-40 in the winter. I gross about 34K a year.

so is this bad or horrible? regardless Im going to find something new but I do like the company I work for. my boss is like family and I honestly couldn't ask for a better job, but I just feel the pay sucks. So how about you guys, whats the world like where you are at?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mud23609

mud23609 Medium Load Member

Mar 9, 2015
    I was at 17.50 with time and a half after 40 and no benefits when I left roll off work a couple years ago. We ran three axle hook lift trucks though and only only ran dumpsters. Most of the outfits in my area were similar in pay but the majors like WM and Waste Connections added in benefits as well. This was in the Duluth MN area which is not known for particularly high wages.

4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Pay is bad then don't be shy about asking for a raise.Has he ever given you a raise the 3 yes you've been there?

5. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    Yes. I started at 12 an hour. I usually get a dollar raise every 6 months. The thing is hes pretty cheap and has straight up told me that he can't really afford to pay me any more. Honestly it's really ####ty giving that I see the money he makes and what he spends it on for him self. He's a great guy but dosen't realize all the wrong he dose to the people that works for him. Only reason why I haven't left was because it's an amazingly friendly job.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
  6. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    He's not paying out any benefits he can afford more.When cost of living goes up so should your pay.Sounds like he has some major jobs which pays him very well.If he's living in a real nice house and has a nice vehicle he can afford to pay more.Here for what you do he would never find the help and keep them.

7. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    Roll off drivers around here are making $20-$24.00 an hour WITH bennies.

street beater Thanks this.
  8. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    The house is nice and he dosent roll around in luxury, but he has two personal trucks. An excursion and a 07 ram. But he just spends his money on a lot of stuff that I think is kind of silly. He dose get very good jobs now and again, like this coming week we are tearing out an in ground pool. No idea what he's being paid to do it but I'm sure it's pretty good. The problem is he's cheap. He buys the cheapest parts for the trucks. Waits for ever to fix things and just in general avoids big spending.

The issue is he's used to getting random people off the street to work for him for little pay and then they move on in less than a year. I'm one of his first employee to stay for as long as I have.

It's what ever tho. I'll talk to him one day but all I know is if I want to make more money, then I need to GTFO

9. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    In the end what he spends his money on and how nice of stuff he has is really irrelevant. How he runs the company is irrelevant, it's his. If you need more find it.

OldRed98 and Lonesome Thank this.
  10. Mach

Mach Light Load Member

Nov 19, 2017
    Knoxville Tennessee
    And that's the plan. I more so just made this post to see what the field really pays since I knew that I was heavily under paid

11. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Him making huge amounts off the backs of truckers comes with the territory.Every trucking company does the same thing.

okiedokie Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.