Averitt Bound!

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by engine32ladder, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    I'm in Houston and Graduate School next week. The Averitt Recruiter came to out school last week.....and it looks very tempting. I've got a Pre-Hire with Prime and my Criminal Background, Driving History and Employment have all been checked and they are ready to get me to SpringMo for orientation......but I want to learn more about Averitt before I commit to either. Both Prime and Averitt have their strong points and weak points....but both seem like great companies.

What made you pick Averitt?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    As an older guy, I was drawn to the excellent medical benefits package, the profit sharing and 401k for starters. Additionally, my cowboy days are over and I don't mind running legal one bit. No outrageous miles here, but I have earned a decent living without ever missing a weekend at home.

The deception is minimal here compared to many trucking companies. Everything the recruiter told me six years ago and everything I was told in orientation turned out to be true. The weekend promise is for real. There are eight paid holidays and second week paid vacation kicks in on third year. The equipment is nice and the road service team works the phones 24/7. They won't leave you stranded and you go on the clock after two hours. We have over 100 terminals where you can fuel, shower and sleep. Some weeks I am in one almost every night. Beats scrounging around crowded truck stops late at night hoping to find a parking spot.

They are somewhat regimented with the dress code and uniforms and I can understand why that is a turn-off for some folks. It would have been for me at one time, but doesn't bother me nowadays. It's better than having no appearance standards at all.

I don't want to start a fight with any drivers of the other company you mentioned, but I don't see them even being in the same league. I have never worked there, but after doing this over three decades, I know what I have seen and the drivers I have talked to first hand. Do yourself a favor and spend an hour going through the threads on here and think hard about what you are reading. Averitt is not going to try to lease you a truck on some shady get rich quick scheme.

I plan on retiring in six more years and plan on being here when I do. I only wish I had found them sooner.

dirt Thanks this.
  4. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Mustang,
    All valid points, thanks!! There are a 2 things that I'm a little concerned about after reading other threads. Facial Hair, I've got Mustache/Goatee....it's ALWAYS trimmed neat and I shave every day, I've got short hair and very clean cut.....I've had this facial hair for 20+ years and I've owned my own business, ran others businesses, been in sales and Director of Operations at 2 companies...and my Mustache and Goatee have never even been an option to shave off. The other is a small Tat on my left forearm...which I'm assuming would be ok, if I wear long sleeve shirts?

5. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    I have tats, but all above elbows or on chest. Long sleeves or an arm band would be fine for yours and as long as you are away from management, which is 99% of the time, nobody is going to see it anyway.

I'm afraid the only facial hair allowed is a moustache. I had had some form of a beard for 27 years, since my discharge from the military, prior to coming to work here, but it was no longer a deal breaker for me. If that's not negotionable for you, I can understand. Maybe one day it will be and you might decide to give us a try.

6. Sly48

Sly48 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2012
    Houston, Tx
    Now the idea of the armband sounds great.....and If I make the final decision, I could shave the goatee....I'll let ya know and thanks again for the post!!!

7. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    10-4 Keep us posted!

8. WRIGHTRACING

WRIGHTRACING Heavy Load Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Iuka MS/Muscle Shoals AL
    I like my uniforms...I don't have to worry about picking out an outfit for the day:p
    Seriously though, I started at USA, then went to USXpress which was better for drivers(but I also ran teams), but both seemed to care more about money, rather than driver satisfaction. I run a supply chain account, so it may be different for me. But I get all the miles I could want, and get home as often as I want. Not every weekend for me, because I run out west a lot, but it equals more money, and they made sure I was ok with it before they gave me the runs. But I also get a little more time at home for it, so I like it better. Trucks at most companies are the same. Minimum options, and same motors and all run around 65 or less. But Averitt has APU's, that USX doesn't have(and they control what outside temp the truck would idle at). They also don't turn Jake breaks off to save money. Basically, they don't put a dollar before their drivers safety. My FM's are the best. They do everything they can to accommodate me, and are always super friendly. Others I had were hit or miss. Terrible at USA, and USX was ok until I turned in my notice.

MUSTANGGT Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.