Averitt Express Not What it seems

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by Gunney, Aug 17, 2007.

1. JethroBodine

JethroBodine Bobtail Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cookeville, TN
    Thank you for taking the time to give me more info.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    This is from this weeks newsletter. Seems I was pretty close on the miles. I actually averaged much better than that last year. A lot depends on location, fleet manager and of course the driver.

Truckload miles, revenue up in first quarter
    [​IMG]Our truckload business is growing, with driver miles and revenues up over the first three months of the year. Take a look at these stats:
    • Average miles per driver increased nearly 18 percent in the first three months of this year-up from 1,941 miles in the first three months of 2009 to 2,284 miles this year.
    • Truckload revenue grew 15.5 percent in the first three months of this year.
    • Idle time dropped by nearly 50 percent in the first three months of this year, helping us make the most of our revenue growth by reducing fuel expenses.
    Thank you for your efforts to bring on new business, keep customers happy and conserve fuel! These are the results of continuously finding ways to get better at what we do each day!

scottied67, JustSonny and Baack Thank this.
  4. truckerkingguy099

truckerkingguy099 Bobtail Member

Oct 27, 2007
    knoxville tn
    Well folks its been almost two years now with Averitt, And I feel that I have found a home. Yes at times you get a mission impossible. And there are occations when I have turned them down. Just not safe to drive. My medical insurance has never been turned down, I have been useing glasses since I was 6 years old, got new ones when I first started. no preexisting condition crap. My new fleet mgr and I are not close, but he treats me with respect, and I do the same with him. I still avarage about 2500 miles a week. I stay out for 2 weeks and get 3 days undisturbed at home. My truck does break down now and then, but I use respect and go in with no expectations, and have been treated well. This is not a bed of roses. I'm a truck driver, its a life with many rewards, and struggles. I take them all willingly. And we are 100 times better than J B Hunt. Careful who you listen to.:biggrin_2556::biggrin_25525:

5. carroll6

carroll6 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2008
    kansas city, mo
    They are all right. The are NOT better than what old JB used to be nope. I am talking back in the day, when old JB was alive. They are all right, but this fleet manager I got now is one of the most aggressive I have ever had. He can be pretty insensitive. STILL..it is all right. But not the best job I've ever had. I like the way they maintain their equip. I had a Freightliner Automatic that broke down 9 times..cos o' that stupid auto trans. But it weren't Averitt's fault. I got a newer Volvo auto now.

For example, JB used to have shower people that kept the towels clean for you, provided soap and everything. I'd go out for two weeks..and get FOUR days off..that is FOUR ACTUAL DAYS OFF. I was flying up to Canada and everything else on my time off. The fleet managers were hands down more reasonable..more humble than Averitt's. I understand though, that JB has changed. Come to think of it, Averitt's FM are some of the most arm twisting I ever worked for. ON some loads..man they act like you raped a nun or something if you are late...for ANY reason. Averitt's time off is pretty good. They really try to get you home.. EVERY weekend. Sometimes, it is only a few hours..but they will try to make it up.

Averitt is not one of the BAD ones. You have to get used to the mindset..just get used to it. I am fairly happy. I am happy to have a job, that is for sure. It could be worse, and a lot worse. We just got a raise up to 42 cent a mile- the most I ever made on a road job. They do not have that rail freight. They pay layover, breakdown pay, and detention pay (when they can get it outta the cust), without hesitation. Compare that to many companies that really jack you around.

So..this is a little windy. It's not like *sobb oh they succkkk*.. but not quite the best deal I've had. The best deal I've had was my old local job..that was a great job. For a small company...small deal.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
    MUSTANGGT and scottied67 Thank this.
  6. Jeepman1

Jeepman1 Light Load Member

Dec 24, 2009
    FLORIDA
    I've gotten a good laugh lookin at this thread, I've been with Averitt in T/L for a little over 6 years. I run out of central FL,this has been the busiest year so far since I started. Checking my year to date payroll tells me I will make over 50k this year, I pulled down 44k last year and I was off work 2 months due to a off duty injury. Short term disability checks were right there on time. The year before last I pulled down over 50k. I run 99 44/100 legal, Averitt does NOT force you to run Illeagal. We have a thing called VHOS, you will not get dispatched if you do not have the hours to work, that's why you sit. AVERITT IS IN THE TRUCKING BUSINESS, it is not a daycare company to make you feel good. You think Averitt is bad, tell me who is better, has better pay and benefits, has better home time. It's true our equipment is getting worn down, it's getting repaired and or replaced. Every truck I've had has been a hand me down, completely trashed by the prior dirtbag that had it(wrecked,filthy,infested by roaches,maggots,feces stains,urine stains,you name it) I think the main reason you left is you could not work and play well with others.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  7. carroll6

carroll6 Bobtail Member

Oct 7, 2008
    kansas city, mo
    Hmm.. I DO get dispatched when my VHOS says I don't have hours. I get woke up on breaks too. BUT..

They are all right. They can get downright arm twisting on dispatches. The truck I got is a GOOD truck..after that Freightliner..which was a good truck except the transmission problems. Pay is pretty good too. I liked my old local job better, and it paid less, but it was far, FAR less stressful. Far less corporate..interference. Averitt is VERy corporate, and very critical.

However.. Averitt is MUCH better than many companies. They DO get me home on weekends. They DO really, really try. My neighbor works for a driver lease, and they treat him pretty good..lately they are running his socks off..but that taste of home every night..man that is great.

Hmm.. I made nowhere NEAR $50,000 last year. But did make $38k. One guy I talked to claimed he made like $24k. All of the people that were in my class are gone now. They went elsewhere quickly. About 4 drivers quit in my area, and they are looking for more around here. Some came back, and now are starting to get up there in trucks. Averitt takes great care of their trailers. I have only had a problem ONCe with at stuck trailer that wouldn't slide.

Their night dispatch, man they answer the phone quickly. There is plenty of help. They attend quickly to breakdown issues.

One thing..they often switch loads on you. They just did it this weekend.. so you have to be on your toes. They break up the long hauls. They really switch things around, and often. You have to be on your toes! It is hard to predict what they will do.

Dirty trucks? That is one thing about JB. JB would clean the trucks every time. I had a brand new, detailed truck at every outing, complete with plastic covers. That was back in the day I suppose.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
    scottied67 Thanks this.
  8. Rocky64

Rocky64 Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Greater Chattanooga
    FM with an attitude?

consider this...

Corporate office has control issues. No beards. Uniforms. Self insured. I imagine the culture at corporate is one that fosters a need to control. More than likely, the FM gets his butt chewed out regularly for small tranport related infractions that cost pennies. Its likely a culture of constant improvement, "better today than we were yesterday" mentality. Well that FM can only be so perfect, and his boss doesn't need to be nice, he's the boss. From the planners to the routers to the fleet managers, its probably a nice place to kiss *ss. Now this is pure speculation, and I'm way off base, no doubt. Just the feeling I got after reading 7 or 8 threads in the Averitt DAC forum.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  9. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    And what exactly is the point of your observations?
    You failed to mention(perhaps you didn't know) that we are are a privately owned, debt free entity, which means no stockholders to answer to.
    And yes, there is a toe-the-line mentality that runs from the top down.
    Is that all that much different from any corporation?
    What exactly do you mean about "a nice place to kiss ###"?
    I think anyone prone to kissing ### would be comfortable doing it most anywhere.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  10. Rocky64

Rocky64 Medium Load Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Greater Chattanooga
    Mustang..."And what exactly is the point of your observations?"

To share a perspective that a few of the earlier posters might not have thought of. I dont think my perspective is a negitive one, Im rather neutral about the company. I do hope their business model continues to succeed.... a lot of families depend on that success. As far as kissing up, that comment is based on earlier smart *ss comments. I type what I want.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  11. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    We all type what we want.I simply didn't understand what you meant.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.