Averitt In Houston Info

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by OSCBRADLEY, Aug 14, 2010.

1. OSCBRADLEY

OSCBRADLEY Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Hello-
    I have been reading alot of good things about Averitt here. I live in the Houston area and am hoping there are some drivers out there that live near Houston and can provide me with some info on how there hometime is (really home every week?), miles, where do you typically run? basically I'm looking for ANY type of input that would help someone living in Houston who wants to drive for Averitt. Thanks very much.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MUSTANGGT

MUSTANGGT Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    I found this opening in Orange, TX:

Combo P/TOrange, TX A Combination (Combo) driver's responsibilities vary depending on the current need at our Service Centers. They may be asked to shuttle freight to other Averitt facilities or deliver freight locally. Combo drivers could also work on the dock and assist with loading our customer's valuable cargo.

And this in Houston:

Available Positions

Dock P/THouston, TX Dock associates manage the day-to-day loading and unloading of freight throughout our system. Dock associates carefully handle our customers' freight, utilizing modern equipment such as propane-powered forklifts and digital freight scanners.

Regional Driver - HOUHouston, TX
    Our regional drivers have enjoyed the open road with the opportunity to see America's beauty throughout the south, southwest and mid-west since 1971. Mile after mile, our regional drivers ride comfortably in modern, well-maintained equipment. When it's time for a good night's rest, our drivers have the option of over 100 Averitt facilities to safely rest. Many Service Centers have on-d ... More Info

All of our road drivers are considered regional. You may get out a thousand miles or so early in the week, but will always work your way back. You will generally run a 500-700 mile radius of your home domicile.
    And yes, they really get you home every weekend. I am in my fourth year and have never missed a weekend. They are serious about that promise.
    I am on a dedicated run now and work Wednesday through Saturday. I get 2312 miles in four days. Not huge money, but it suits me fine, and I love the schedule.
    We have some guys on this account(Mercedes Benz) running 3200 every week and home on weekends.

4. OSCBRADLEY

Jul 8, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    MUSTANGGT-
    Thanks for the info, I have been looking at Averitts website and see that they do not accept new drivers, they want that minimum of 1 year experience. Just wondering....I'm 43 and about ready to retire after 20 years from the military, in your opinion would that mean anything to them? I realize I don't have the year driving time but certainly have the maturity level I would assume they are looking for. Thanks vey much.

5. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    I have no idea how flexible they are on that.
    Up until September of '08 they were hiring qualified trucking school graduates.
    But as demand for new drivers decreased, they stiffened the requirements.
    There has been a sharp increase in business lately. Who knows, they could go back to that at some point.

6. OSCBRADLEY

Jul 8, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks again......this may be kind of a tough question as it depends on so many variables but.....seems how I live in Houston, what states would I most likely be driving to, or would it be easier to ask what states would I not likely be driving in.....I know, almost impossible to answer but my kids were interested in finding out.

7. MUSTANGGT

Feb 21, 2009
    Georgia
    It is quite common for Texas drivers to drop eastbound loads at the terminal in Jackson MS while drivers from the Carolinas and points east would do the same thing with loads going west.
    The same thing happens in Baton Rouge. It is a way of keeping drivers in their respective regions, keeping them from getting out too far from home to get back for the weekend.
    When I was in the system, I ran alot of FL, GA, AL, VA, TN, KY, NC, SC and rarely talked to TX drivers.
    Conversely I rarely crossed the Mississippi, with Memphis being my cut off point.
    I made only three trips to TX in '09 and haven't been this year.
    You would be more likely to see OK, LA, AR, MO, TN. Maybe Chicago a little.

OSCBRADLEY Thanks this.
  8. OSCBRADLEY

Jul 8, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    MUSTANGGT-
    Thanks again, I really appreciate all your assistance!! I may need to go with Swift or Stevens Transport to get that year of experience but after that I do believe Averitt is exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks again.

9. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

you might want to look into MAY Trucking

American Trucker

10. OSCBRADLEY

Jul 8, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    American-Trucker-
    I just looked at May Trucking but from their website it looks as thought they dont hire in the Houston area.

American-Trucker Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.