Averitt orientation package

Discussion in 'Averitt' started by Nukem, May 16, 2014.

1. Flareblitz

Flareblitz Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks Ryan! I'll have to see if they'd let me park my truck there when I'm off.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    So it's been a few months since I wrote...

Ever since about mid Feb. I have been in the shop for one thing or another (sometimes minor) just about every week. Welp, yesterday I am down near Ashville, NC and pick up a load; pick it up is taking longer since I have to watch a 20 minute video and then there are 3 trucks in front of me. Ok, no big deal as waiting is what we do sometimes...

Fast forward to starting the run: Head to the Tri City SC in TN to fuel and all heck breaks loose. She starts idling so rough that it's shaking me in the seat; I'm hearing a popping niose from the right side of the engine (sounds like the back fire of a car) and it feels as if it's going to stall out any second... I talk to the mech to check it out and he says you need to get to Knoxville soonest. Sounds like a bad cam or fuel injectors.

Get to Knoxville and get the load taken from me so I call break down. about an hour later I'm told to clean my truck out as I will not be driving it any time soon. 1 possibly 2 stuck valves and they will need permission to rip into the engine. Call my FM and explain to him what's going on and BEG to get another cascadia...

Long story short, I ended up with a pallet full of all my belongings (mostly bulky stuff, but still) being loaded onto an LTL going back to my yard in Portsmouth and I hitch a ride home. Now I'm in a 2013 Volvo until such time as I can hopefully get back into a Freight. So now I have to figure out what I have to leave behind as I have no room anymore :(

MAN, talk about a hectic 24 hours

4. chopper103in

chopper103in Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crossville,Tn
    I know the feeling.
    I transferred to the Federal Mogul account and moved from a International to a Volvo.
    Lost a lot of storage when I did

5. Flareblitz

Flareblitz Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So your truck broke even worse after I saw you in LEX? You have bad luck man. Hope you get a better truck soon!

6. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Yea, bad enough that I had to get out of it and they don't know when they might (if at all) get it fixed by Averitt or send it to a Freight dealer to have it worked on. I really do dislike Volvos, but I have to admit that this one is pretty clean, but I know these trucks have a tendency to eat fluids like crazy. This one had 2 gallons of coolant in it when I started to clean it up, so we'll see how it runs here in the next few weeks.

7. Velox

Velox Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Ohio
    What do they pay extra for Hazmat Loads?

8. kalexandermoore

kalexandermoore Bobtail Member

Oct 26, 2014
    To my knowledge no. Hazmat is required within 90 days though

9. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    HAZMAT does not get extra pay for the loads and yes it is a requirement to get your endorsement within 90 days of your hire date, but Averitt will also reimburse you the money spent on it.

10. chopper103in

chopper103in Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Crossville,Tn
    Unless you are on a dedicated account that don't require it

11. Nukem

Nukem Road Train Member

May 11, 2014
    Welp... In Toledo Ohio for the night running to WI for the weekend. Still got the dang Volvo. (POS that it is) Talked to the FM yesterday morning, and either I'm going to wait until mine is fixed and get back in it, or he's gonna look for a "newer" model (2013/14) personally I don't care as long as I get back in a Cascadia. :mad:o_O:p

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.