Avg gross with Intermodel local?

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by zoekatya, Sep 15, 2015.

1. zoekatya

zoekatya Medium Load Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    What your avg gross income with JB local intermodel?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    Coming from other drivers mouths at the Winter Haven, FL CSX ramp most told me around $700 a week. Kinda terrific however since most owner ops including myself were/are lucky most weeks to take that home. Not including taxes.

zoekatya Thanks this.
  4. zoekatya

Mar 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Is this after taxes, health insurance, and 401k? This seems kind of low. I was imagining the gross to be around $1000 or $1100. Thanks for the response!

5. LumbraX

LumbraX Medium Load Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Orlando, FL
    I would imagine, but I'm not 100% positive on that. Jb and Schneider run mostly a Monday - Friday gig from what I noticed.

6. HalpinUout

HalpinUout Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    That has to be Net... No way they could keep anyone around for $700 a week gross and then you figure after taxes and 401 and insurance they are binging home in the $400 range a week... Can't see to many people working for that

zoekatya Thanks this.
  7. zoekatya

Mar 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    I was talking to a local intermodel jb hunt driver today after I asked this. He has maxed out on the pay scale after five years and is grossing $1,300 for a five day work week.
    This was in the Baltimore CSX yard so I'm not sure if they pay differently for other areas.

RookieJ1987 Thanks this.
  8. icsheeple

icsheeple Trailing the Herd

Nov 1, 2013
    Kansas City, KS
    Ex squeeze me? Uh baking powder.... How he's made it 5 years is a miracle.

9. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    In Harrisburg working 5 days under 60 hours week you'll hit the 70k a year mark if your maxed out on the pay scale. As far as my average gross goes it's usually between $1,200 and $1,300 a week October 13th I'll have been at JB Hunt for 3 years. So average gross would be around $1,400 that is assuming you don't work weekends and you don't work your full 70 hours. Since your in Baltimore you guys are most likely making a little less not due to a pay difference (since I believe you share are pay scale not 100% on that though) but just traffic in Baltimore since you deal with heavier volumes of it. That and it also depends on what shift you work since some shifts are better then others for making more money with weekend shifts tending to get more loads, not having to deal with morning or evening rush hour and most loads are drop and hooks.

zoekatya Thanks this.
  10. zoekatya

Mar 15, 2013
    Baltimore, MD
    Thanks for the in depth response. I worked for two month on intermodel regional. I just got on JB Hunt Local Intermodel a week ago. That gives me some hope that I'll be able to make an okay living. I really like JB Hunt. Its a quality company compared to MCT and Western Express which I worked for previously. I was thinking about going with UPS, Old Dominion, ABF to make more money but I like working for JB Hunt so it makes me happy I'll be able to do alright here.

11. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    The high paying LTL carriers ie UPS and FedEx Freight make about 10K to 15K more per year then we do assuming the drivers have actual bids and aren't just working the docks. The problem with FedEx (I don't have firsthand experience with UPS) is that you'll end up working there docks for about a year if not close to two years. After that you'll be on the extra board where they can call you up anytime and you have to be able to work up to a full 14 hour day when they call you. Once you get a bid you will still have to work there docks for several years till you get enough seniority to get a bid run long enough where you don't have to work the docks. That is assuming it's a line haul terminal. Also at FedEx at least there docks were not what you would call safe. I almost got killed three times by other forklift drivers in one day.

Not trying to rag on all of LTL here but sometimes the extra few grand a year isn't worth it. Besides JB while having much lower turnover then OTR still has a bit of it. So pay raises have been coming steadily the last couple of years since JB is trying to retain drivers. Since I started with them back in October 2012 I've had 8 pay raises with only two of them being yearly scheduled raises. I'll have another yearly raise in October which will be my 9th since I started working for JB Hunt. As long as intermodal freight stays steady which it looks like it will since it keeps eating into long distance OTR freight here in the Northeast and the driver shortage continues with JB still having some retention problems I honestly look for the Harrisburg terminal pay scale to get to $30 for a drop and hook, $50 for a live load/unload, $.50 per mile (non weekend max pay), $19 per hour (if not more) with extra pay per hour after 1.5 hours detention being $30 if not more per hour and equipment moves, chassis moves and cross towns probably going up to $12 within the next 3 years. That is assuming things stay stable for the next 3 years though.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.