Avg gross with Intermodel local?

Discussion in 'JB Hunt' started by zoekatya, Sep 15, 2015.

1. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    Depends on which terminal you're out of, Los Angeles (southgate the average is about $800 a week, you guys that make more and some less hence average lol). The san bernadino terminal which is about an hour away pays their drivers about 4 dollars less for each load even though they go to the same customers.

Here is the Los Angeles breakdown
    .375 cents a mile
    26.25 drop and hook
    40.25 live load
    Detention after 1.5 hours
    Rail delay after 1 hour
    All hourly pay is $15
    TONU pay is $15 (pickup not ready).

The thing about intermodal is you really need to have a good fleet manager. When I was a fleet manager, my guys made 1200 to 1400, I had one make 1800 in one week, key was to keep then moving.

For example, they go to a pickup but there's no pickup info, no PO, no release number etc which is pretty common, my drivers knew to send an obc with a person's name they spoke with, I'll TONU the load right away and give them another load while I shoot out an email.

A lot of other fleet managers would make the driver sit there for half an hr, tell them to call them back because they're checking with corporate, mind you on weekends and nights, corporate does not answer since there is 1 guy answering every single email for jb hunt intermodal across the US. So of course the manager will NOT get back to the driver since he's now busy with a 100 different things and the driver has to struggle to get an obc reply or answer on the phone. All for $15, up to an hr and a half is wasted.

So moral of the story, you get a bad planner or bad fleet manager you're screwed

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    Cody1984 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. sb57

sb57 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Why do you say assuming you don't work weekends ? What makes that different ?

4. sb57

sb57 Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2014
    You have provided some good info on the local intermodal out of Harrisburg, do you have any knowledge of how the regional drivers are doing and possibly some who would give me the honest info, thanks

5. Cody1984

Cody1984 Medium Load Member

Jan 24, 2014
    PA
    You get paid more to work weekends. It's an extra $.02 per mile plus on weekends you deal with a lot less traffic and they plan you out to work a 14 hour day by giving you something like 4 drop and hooks and a little over 400 miles in one day.

We have one regional guy out of Harrisburg on these forums but he's like me in posting randomly. Check the JB Hunt Intermodal thread. I don't normally run into the regional guys but when I have they tend to say we have the better deal. I do know we get PTO (Personal Time Off) where as they do not.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.