AVOID HUNTER TRUCK SERVICE

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Tall Colo Guy, Feb 25, 2021.

1. Tall Colo Guy

Tall Colo Guy Bobtail Member

Feb 25, 2021
    AVOID HUNTER DEALERSHIPS!!
    SUMMARY:
    Repairs: $17,000
    Down Time: 38 days
    Results: Still Busted, Hunter Refuses to help
    1. In Sept / Oct 2020, Hunter Peterbilt replaced the transmission in my 2016 Peterbilt 579. The entire cost of the repair was $15,441.07. My after market warranty paid $7,340.18, and I paid the remaining $8,070.89. This was remitted on 10/16/2020.
    2. At the time of payment, I was assured that any mechanical issues would be warrantied by the Manufacturer of the Remand Transmission, Eaton (Weller) for 1 year. Any problems with installation / workmanship would be taken care of at any service location that works with Eaton (Weller) Transmissions at the expense of Hunter Peterbilt for one year.
    3. Within a few days, the transmission started coming out of gear in traffic, which is obviously a safety hazard, as well as a possible source of continued damage to the truck. The problem was intermittent, and would not replicate on command.
    4. I took the truck to MHC Kenworth in Denver, CO on 12/24/20. They could not replicate the problem. When the service dept of MHC called Hunter PB for assistance and to inquire about their warranty process, they were told, "We dont have anything to do with that".
    5. After that statement, I soon realized that I would have to return to Hunter PB to try to get resolution. I took it back there on January 11, 2021 and asked them to repair it. Additionally, the truck was having problems with the emissions system that was causing several check engine and stop engine warnings. I asked them to repair that as well.
    6. Despite sending he module to he factory, they could not diagnose he problem. I was losing 1,000 a day, and after 8 days I told them I would take it somewhere else, and ask them to fix the emission problem, They replaced he NOX sensor. On Jan 19, 2021 I paid $1,514.23 for them to look at the transmission and repair the emissions system. Within 30 minutes, all he warning and stop engine lights came back on like no repair was ever done. I called Mr. Vieira, who old me I needed to take it to another Hunter dealership for service.
    7. I had to take it to 2 other shops to repair the damage they did. The NOX sensor was never the problem, it was the EGR Valve. The Transmission was the XY Shifter, which may have been damaged during tear down and re installation by hunter. I have written to everyone, including Jeffry Hunter, President, and they said its not their problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    That's a pricey transmission.

4. GreenPete359

GreenPete359 Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2017
    Driving my recliner
    What Hunter Dealership did the work? They have a few of them.

5. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    So XY shifter crapped out. How's that the dealership's problem? If it was new and came as part of the reman transmission then it should have been covered under the transmission's warranty. Not a dealership problem.

If it was reused off the old transmission, well it probably wore out. XY shifter is a fairly common failure. Again not the dealership's problem.

magoo68 Thanks this.
  6. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    You can sue if you want.

Why couldn't easy the XY shifter identified by hunter? Makes me think they are incompetent.

7. Coronado2020

Coronado2020 Light Load Member

Jul 7, 2020
    AZ
    ####, thats sucks. Makes you really appreciate a glider truck.. with all these horror stealership stories been there done it with my T680.. thx god for gliders.

Tropsnart and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.