Avoiding Port freight???

Discussion in 'Anderson' started by shaunjon, Jul 14, 2011.

1. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    It is a shame to think that you need to pay someone under the table to do their job.

Jamming Gears Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working Class Patriot

Working Class Patriot Road Train Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Wherever and Whenever...
    Welcome to the world of unions......:biggrin_2552:

4. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010

Yea, and some people wonder why unions have such a lousy reputation.

5. shaunjon

shaunjon Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2011
    All 48
    Yeah G-Man its a shame, BUT if I can get loaded in 2hrs oppose to 5-6hrs I'll do it, it makes a difference gettn down the Road ASAP so I can get on to the next load, Oh well!

6. G/MAN

G/MAN Road Train Member

Sep 3, 2010
    I guess we all do what we feel we must to keep the wheels rolling. When dealing with the ports is getting in that takes the time. There are usually lines and they don't get in a hurry. Once I get in it usually doesn't take too long to get loaded or unloaded. But I am usually picking up or delivering equipment or a container. It is all the BS to get in that takes so much time.

shaunjon Thanks this.
  7. Nu skool

Nu skool Bobtail Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Maybe with Detroit going bankrupt, they'll see that unions are useless and no good for economy.

8. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    There are a lot of really big loads that come from the ports. Huge. Some are cheap, but some of them have stupid money on them. For stupid money, I am the most patient person in the world. A word to the wise...if you have to go into a port and pick up a load with stupid money on there, do not tell anyone until after you're done.

Why is that, Six? What about telling a friend?

Okay, this might sound unfair, but critical loads, they're not going to allow just anyone to pull those loads. Extremely valuable loads or certain overheight loads 2 ft taller than legal or more will not be seen by most drivers. For the most part, it's first empty, first loaded, but for these loads it goes to those drivers who made a name for themselves of never dropping the ball on even the most challenging loads.

EXAMPLE

Took a load to Griffin GA. Had someone that I thought was a friend go to Athens,GA. He got emptied, and I was waiting to empty. My dispatcher was off, and his dispatcher called me on the phone about going to the Atlanta airport to pick up a $60 mil load. I told my friend, and he went back to his dispatcher pissed because he didn't get the load offer and he was the same class as me. He called one of the VPs and the VP tried to explain that I had pulled bigger, and more valuable loads than he had and 3 members of management had to agree on the driver. And they all agreed on me. Then management calls me on the phone pissed. I apologized and never made that mistake again. When I saw my "friend", I offered to give him his dime back.

It's one of the reasons why I always tell drivers to take the big loads whenever offered. It's not the money on that load that you look at, it's the money on the future loads. Over 12 ft wide? Take it. Over height? Take it. Stretch Rgn? Take it. They do keep track in the office. When you're starting out, it does seem unfair. I lost quite a few loads myself until I padded the resume.

truckerim2055 Thanks this.
  9. truckinusa

truckinusa Light Load Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Ponca City, OK
    I would always show myself empty as soon as the first driver started to get unloaded. It pissed drivers off, but I always got out of the place first. I only did this when they had like 6 trucks in the same location.

10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Unions have their place, such as for protection from vindictive TM's. But in my experience, they are the exception rather than the norm.

Presently, most unions amount to little more than a means to protect peoples' goof-off time and those who go out of their way to maximize it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.